Newcastle sack Hughton

Day

Newcastle United have parted company with manager Chris Hughton.

The announcement came a day after United were beaten 3-1 at West Brom, a result which left them 11th in the Premier League table.

Hughton guided Newcastle back into the top flight in May after their relegation in the 2008-09 campaign.

However, the club said on their official website they are seeking an individual with more managerial experience to take them forward.

The statement added: "The board would like to place on record their thanks to Chris for his considerable efforts during the club's transition from Championship to Premier League club.

"Chris has shown exceptional character and commitment since being appointed manager in October 2009. The club wishes him well in the future.

"The task of appointing a new manager now begins. An announcement will be made shortly regarding transitional arrangements pending the appointment of a successor."

Speculation has been growing for weeks regarding Hughton's future, although the club revealed in October they would be looking to extend his contract in the new year in response to this.

The defeat at the Hawthorns, after which Hughton keep his players in the dressing room for an hour, was the Magpies seventh of a season that has so far seen them win just two games at home.

However, these were a 5-1 win over local rivals Sunderland in October and a 6-0 triumph against Aston Villa back in August.

They have registered wins at Everton and Arsenal this season under Hughton, but have picked up just two points from a possible 15 since the victory at the Emirates on 7 November.

Hughton, who has been working without an assistant manager since Colin Calderwood joined Hibernian in October, is followed out of the St James' Park exit by goalkeeping coach Paul Barron.

Former Tottenham player and coach Hughton arrived at Newcastle from White Hart Lane in February 2008 as coach to then Magpies boss Kevin Keegan.

He then serves as caretaker manager when Keegan left in September 2008, before reverting to assistant boss when Joe Kinnear was appointed manager on a temporary basis.

When Kinnear fell ill the following February, Hughton again stepped in, before assisting Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie as Newcastle were relegated.

He was once again placed in caretaker charge in the summer of 2009, as owner Mike Ashley sought to sell the club, but the team started the Championship season so well he was given the role on a permanent basis in October of 2009.

He went on to guide Newcastle to the Championship title with two games spare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/9261212.stm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doubt they will give it to Shearer, "they are seeking an individual with more managerial experience to take them forward". I reckon they should give it to Alex W...if he can get his CV in this time.

I like the cut of your jib, Daveo. And i'm a member of a Newcastle forum too, should stand me in good stead...............

:D

Billy Davies has a contract to see out in Nottingham, but if you want a meeting, Billy Davies's solicitor will be present with Billy Davies.

Not my words, his.

LOL! I like it.

FWIW I think Alan Curbishley will take it. He'd be crazy to as the club clearly has no class whatsoever but he's been out of the game for a while, wants a "big club", etc.

I've never been a fan of Hughton but sacking him 6 months after winning the Championship and being 11th in the Prem.... crazy. They deserve everything they get.

Archived