Frank Fielding

Day

DERBY County loan star Frank Fielding is hoping to "go out on a high" against Leicester City this weekend.

The goalkeeper will return to Blackburn Rovers when his one-month loan expires after the Rams' visit to the Walkers Stadium.

The England Under-21 international was drafted in on an emergency deal after Derby's number one stopper Stephen Bywater injured his wrist.

But with Bywater close to fitness again, manager Nigel Clough will not be looking to extend Fielding's stay at Pride Park.

That is not to say that Clough has not been impressed by the Blackburn man – anything but, in fact.

Fielding has played six games so far, kept three clean sheets and tasted defeat only once.

He has seamlessly filled the void left by Bywater and helped Derby climb to fourth in the Championship table.

"It will be a shame to leave, because I've really enjoyed my time here," said Fielding, who has previously had loan spells with Wycombe Wanderers, Northampton Town, Rochdale and Leeds United.

"It's my last game this weekend and, hopefully, I can go out on a high.

"Stephen Bywater is a quality keeper and it's unfortunate that he got injured.

"But it has given me a chance to come in and show what I can do and it should stand me in good stead for when I go back to Blackburn.

"I'm grateful the manager has given me a chance in the first team and I hope I've not done myself any harm.

"It's all good for my development. I'm still young and I'm learning loads."

From what he has seen so far, Fielding – who was called up to the England senior squad in August for the friendly against Hungary – believes Derby are capable of maintaining their current lofty position in the table.

"I definitely think they can," he added.

"That's three wins in a row now and we will be looking to keep that going at Leicester.

"It will be a tough game – a bit of a local derby – but shouldn't be a problem for this team.

"I don't want to jinx it or build them up too much but things are going well at the moment.

"There's a good spirit in the team and the lads are all good mates.

"However, I'm sure they will keep their feet firmly on the ground and take it one game at a time."

Fielding produced a couple of superb saves to deny Ipswich Town strikers Tamas Priskin and Jason Scotland at key stages of Tuesday night's 2-0 win at Portman Road.

"That's what I'm here for," he said. "Ipswich was my sixth game for Derby and I've not really had that much to do. So it was nice to show people what I am capable of."

Fielding hailed the victory at Ipswich as Derby's best result of the season to date.

"The lads put a good shift in," he said.

"It didn't really happen for us in the first half, although we came into it a bit more towards the end of it.

"Then, in the second half, for the first 20 minutes or so, I thought we more than deserved to go two up.

"The team are playing brilliantly at the moment and we're all buzzing.

"I think it was our best result of the season so far."

Fielding, set to travel to Germany with England Under-21s for a friendly in Wiesbaden on Tuesday, is now preparing to return to life as understudy to Blackburn number one Paul Robinson.

"Robbo's a great mate of mine and he's good to talk to about stuff on and off the pitch," he said.

"If I can go on to achieve half of what he's done, I'll be happy. He's a quality keeper."

And even though his short time with the Rams is coming to an end, Fielding has developed a soft spot for the club.

"I'll definitely always keep an eye on Derby's results from now on," he said.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/football/s-farewell-Fielding-prepares-game-stand-Rams-keeper/article-2872571-detail/article.html

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Nigel I trust, but that said, I'm a great believer in not changing a winning team (injuries excepted) and I would be a lot happier if he was on to Big Sam trying to keep Fielding. I don't like Bywater as a goalie or a man and would be happy to see the back of him.

I've been really impressed by Fielding, the defence seems much calmer with him in goal and he's fitted in brilliantly, as well as making some excellent saves.

If come January he arrived full time and Stephen Bywater was sold I would be a happy bunny. That said, Bywater's good enough for this division easily so I guess it's a win win for now. I just think Fielding looks a better keeper.

What it does show is that we don't in effect have a number 2 keeper. Obviously Deeney or Atkins are not considered good enough so what happens if Bywater is injured again? And I don't really like the face that no-one is pushing him for his place.

As most, I am totally behind Nigel, but I see this as a bad move. Bywater WILL cost us matches this season.

Fielding has proved to be, at the very least, just as good as him. And he's only an U21 player. Would have loved to see him here permanently.

Not the decision I would have gone with anyway.

You never know Fielding's performances may spur bywater on to prove that he is still a good keeper, he's alwats had the ability its just the complacency due to a lack of competition. Would be very interested to see us get Fielding on a permanent and see them push each other.

The team was playing well before Fielding came, there's no reason why that won't continue once Ratty is back.

Sometimes Derby fans are desperate to find a drama!

Best wishes to Frank for the future - he has done great for us and I hope he has a blinder on Satdee against fester. Top man as well for the positive stuff he said about the Rams...

"I don't want to jinx it or build them up too much but things are going well at the moment.

"There's a good spirit in the team and the lads are all good mates.

"However, I'm sure they will keep their feet firmly on the ground and take it one game at a time."

"I'll definitely always keep an eye on Derby's results from now on,"

Who knows what may happen in the future - I'm sure he'd at least consider a move to Derby if Nige were to go for him at some point.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the rat, always rated him, I just think he needs competition which deeney can't provide, plus Fielding would be fghting for the number 1 shirt here in a team that could be in the premier leagues next year, at Blackburn what is he 3rd or 4th choice?

Seems like an opportunity to me.

I think keepers are a different breed and don't need to be pushed. I don't know any side bar man city where the no 2 is at the same level as the No1. They seem to like to be settled as a keeper like every player will make mistakes but there's clearly cost a goal. Bywater for me is a good goalkeeper. His kicking is his weak point but as he is now throwing it a lot more and playing it short it doesn't show up as much.

Its in the DET we have now extended it for another month.

DERBY County are to extend goalkeeper Frank Fielding's loan stay by another month.

The 22-year-old's initial loan from Blackburn Rovers is due to expire after today's Championship clash against Leicester City at the Walkers Stadium (3pm).

Derby have been hugely impressed by Fielding's form and the manner in which he has slotted in and they have decided to keep him for longer.

The deal will take effect from Monday.

Fielding, an England Under-21 international, has played six games while Stephen Bywater has been out with a wrist injury.

Derby have won five of the six matches and Fielding has kept three clean sheets.

Rams goalkeeping coach Martin Taylor has been watching Fielding's progress closely for the past 18 months and believes the youngster can go right to the top.

"Frank has made a big impact. He's taken the chance and not looked out of place. He has looked very confident, like he's been here two or three years," said Taylor.

"It obviously helps when the team are playing well and have a stable defence because you can sometimes go on loan to a team that is struggling.

"I have watched Frank for 18 months and we tried to sign him some time back but for one reason or another, we couldn't get him.

"He has all the attributes, apart from his size but then, does size matter? I wasn't the biggest of keepers. Shay Given is not the tallest and he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

"Frank is a confident lad, he has good hands, he comes for crosses, he talks well and kicks really well.

"He has everything you want and there is no reason why he cannot go all the way.

"Obviously, Blackburn rate him highly."

Bywater is back in full training after injury and is set to play for the Reserves against Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.

"Stephen trained for the first time with the first team on Friday and he'll play for the Reserves on Wednesday. We'll see how he goes and take it from there," said Taylor.

Goalkeeper Ross Atkins has rejoined Tamworth on loan until January.

Its in the DET we have now extended it for another month.

DERBY County are to extend goalkeeper Frank Fielding's loan stay by another month.

The 22-year-old's initial loan from Blackburn Rovers is due to expire after today's Championship clash against Leicester City at the Walkers Stadium (3pm).

Derby have been hugely impressed by Fielding's form and the manner in which he has slotted in and they have decided to keep him for longer.

The deal will take effect from Monday.

Fielding, an England Under-21 international, has played six games while Stephen Bywater has been out with a wrist injury.

Derby have won five of the six matches and Fielding has kept three clean sheets.

Rams goalkeeping coach Martin Taylor has been watching Fielding's progress closely for the past 18 months and believes the youngster can go right to the top.

"Frank has made a big impact. He's taken the chance and not looked out of place. He has looked very confident, like he's been here two or three years," said Taylor.

"It obviously helps when the team are playing well and have a stable defence because you can sometimes go on loan to a team that is struggling.

"I have watched Frank for 18 months and we tried to sign him some time back but for one reason or another, we couldn't get him.

"He has all the attributes, apart from his size but then, does size matter? I wasn't the biggest of keepers. Shay Given is not the tallest and he is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

"Frank is a confident lad, he has good hands, he comes for crosses, he talks well and kicks really well.

"He has everything you want and there is no reason why he cannot go all the way.

"Obviously, Blackburn rate him highly."

Bywater is back in full training after injury and is set to play for the Reserves against Nottingham Forest on Wednesday.

"Stephen trained for the first time with the first team on Friday and he'll play for the Reserves on Wednesday. We'll see how he goes and take it from there," said Taylor.

Goalkeeper Ross Atkins has rejoined Tamworth on loan until January.

Great if true. But no point extending if he is just gonna sit on the bench.

Archived