Paul Warne, managers and plan

10 hours ago, i-Ram said:

We are in a position this season, probably next, where we don’t need a manager trying to get us playing some great stuff.

We need a manager who will get us organised, passing to each other, valuing ball possession, using (rather than bypassing) midfielders, having a set formation/style that marries with the academy, and gives our youth players some hope that they will get chances to step up.

Warne it seems is a great bloke, and his strength is clearly man management. He succeeds in lower league campaigns because his methods are tailored to fitness and percentage gains (set piece goals, and winning more second ball challenges in and around either box).

He is not a coach. He doesn’t improve players. He doesn’t trust young inexperienced players. He doesn’t know really his favourite formation, or how to recruit for it.

Given the squad we have now, we should be moving heaven and hell to get ourselves a decent centre back, and a forward that might link up well alongside Yates. Play 343. Play through midfield. Forget the obsession to hit it long and wide. I think we can still stay up. I think Warne has some qualities that could/should make that happen. But I am not and never will be persuaded he is the right fit for us. I am grateful he got us up, but I think we have more chance making progress (or simply consolidating) over the coming years with a new man in charge.

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios