Speedway

Nothing from this sport normally makes the headlines, but Great Britain became world champions tonight after beating the Aussies. Rob Lambert top scored in the final and Dan Bewley made a fantastic overtake going from last to second in 1 corner to secure the title.

I'm sure whatever happens in the euros tomorrow will get all the coverage, but I thought this deserved a mention.

7 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Nothing from this sport normally makes the headlines, but Great Britain became world champions tonight after beating the Aussies. Rob Lambert top scored in the final and Dan Bewley made a fantastic overtake going from last to second in 1 corner to secure the title.

I'm sure whatever happens in the euros tomorrow will get all the coverage, but I thought this deserved a mention.

Wow that's great. I've not watched speedway for a good few years now since sky sports stopped showing the SGP, but I remember from world cups around that time the GB were nowhere near winning it, it's as usually considered a "success" just to make the final 4 or 5!

I used to go watch Long Eaton Invaders with my Dad when I was a kid, everything about it was great back then especially the smell of Castrol R in the air! Sadly the stadium has long since been sold off and flattened for housing.

Edited by Carnero

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Wow that's great. I've not watched speedway for a good few years now since sky sports stopped showing the SGP, but I remember from world cups around that time the GB were nowhere near winning it, it's as usually considered a "success" just to make the final 4 or 5!

They seem to have been on a decent run in recent years. World champions in 2021 before a second place last time out. Doesn’t get any media attention from the main outlets anymore.

It is shown on Eurosport now, which I believe is free if you have a sky entertainment package (not just sports package).

12 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

They seem to have been on a decent run in recent years. World champions in 2021 before a second place last time out. Doesn’t get any media attention from the main outlets anymore.

It is shown on Eurosport now, which I believe is free if you have a sky entertainment package (not just sports package).

I only have nowtv so there's no eurosport on there unfortunately.

The trouble is once you don't watch it for a while most of the riders you build up an affinity for have disappeared!

3 hours ago, Carnero said:

I only have nowtv so there's no eurosport on there unfortunately.

The trouble is once you don't watch it for a while most of the riders you build up an affinity for have disappeared!

Yeah I used to go quite regularly as a child in the the late 2000s, then didn’t go again until last year. It was a bit of a shock with the top youngsters when I used to go are now talked about as experienced veterans.Β 

14 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I used to be dragged along to watch Ipswich by my cousin when I visited relatives in the late 70s/early 80s. Remember Tiger John Louis being his favourite rider. Reminds me a bit of Greyhound racing. After a couple of races ready to go home 😊

Ipswich Witches!

When I was watching it John Louis was their manager/promoter and his son Chris Louis was their star rider!

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Ipswich Witches!

When I was watching it John Louis was their manager/promoter and his son Chris Louis was their star rider!

That’s right. Not my cup of tea but well done πŸ†