How impressive is PW as a coach?

11 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

No one knows for definite what his budget was, for wages or transfer fees, they are only guessing. However I don't think PW has once moaned about it and not only that but delivered a record points total, record games won away and was it goals scored as well 😏

Irony is that I have seen on social media today a lot of Derby fans saying LR sacking was harsh as although he has the budget not the time, the same ones wanting PW gone after 2 months of the season 😏

Ah, facts!

Can't say for sure as I haven't paid much attention to Hull this season, but from the outside it looks like they spent a lot of money this season maxing out their squad hoping they'd go up, or at least make the play-offs. It certainly looked like a team that should have finished in at least the play-offs on paper.

Perhaps if he'd finished 7th without having those loans like Carvalho, the owner would have seen it differently!

3 hours ago, sage said:

At the start of the season we could have paid a fee for someone. It wasn't forbidden like the previous season.

However we still had an overall budget. All clubs operate on a budget, ours was different in that we had to send it to the EFL for approval.

Obviously if we paid £300k for someone and paid them £6k a week, it would cost us £600k that year. 

Therefore if we paid fees it would reduce our wage budget by the size of that fee.

Effectively every fee of that size would cost us one off the squad size (based on a 6k pw presumption).

Exactly my point. You can't have your cake and eat it. Spend on transfer fees but then you might not have enough in your wages budget to actually entice the players (and the number of players you want) you're trying to sign. Don't spend on transfer fees in order to attract "better" players with higher wages but you're limiting your market to free transfers and loans. 

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Exactly my point. You can't have your cake and eat it. Spend on transfer fees but then you might not have enough in your wages budget to actually entice the players (and the number of players you want) you're trying to sign. Don't spend on transfer fees in order to attract "better" players with higher wages but you're limiting your market to free transfers and loans. 

Agreed. Everyone in League One is in that position more or less. Everyone has a budget. Ours is higher but has to be approved.

10 hours ago, sage said:

So we could at the start of the season have paid fees.

Perhaps, but I can't imagine we had an amount sufficient to buy a player who would have been a major improvement on what we had. It's possible that some of that went on signing on fees or paying off Fornah, Washington and Wilson's contracts.

Whatever, it all worked out happily in the end.

Paul Warnes style is very similar to Sean Dyches style tbh. effective and simple. I know his rotherham sides never did a deal in the championship but theyre a much smaller club in comparison and he achieved a lot with bugger all. 

Theres 3 ways next season could go tbh.

1.If we've got money we can get some decent players in and look like old derby 

2. If we've got a bit of pocket money - keep the squad we've got and maybe odd addition and be ok ( his recruitment was very good even though some took their time getting up to speed.

3.If we havent got owt to spend , i think it will be a very similar to his rotherham sides

but overall im fairly confident we'll be ok. Our players flourish against better playing teams/better football. In league 1 we were against rubbish teams that were super defensive.