The 2024 Motorsports Thread

4 hours ago, Alph said:

I bet somebody at Red Bull suggested moving for Sainz. I like to imagine he/she has spent the last month in a dark basement at Milton Keynes HQ replying to Verstappen's fan mail. 

We need the best available driver to replace Checo!

Surely that's Carlos Sainz who won races last year and this year?

Did you say Danny? Because he's barely beating Tsunoda!

Okay, Checo it is then.

But I said....

So Darth Marko says that the cards will be reshuffled next season. 

Does that mean Perez to the baby bull and Ric or Lawson into the grown ups car?

I saw somebody discussing the value of Perez. That his popularity and the money he brings in from TV/sponsorship in Mexico is only a little less than they'd get if they came second in the WCC. So that even finishing second isn't really a big deal for them. The only real concern is that they don't have a strategy to help Max win when Perez is busy fighting Sergeant and Zhou

Might be peddling some BS there, but there must be a reason they're so dedicated to Perez. After saying they need an immediate turnaround they seem to be backing him again. With Tsunoda, Ric, Lawson, Sainz, Albon, Ocon, Hulk, Bottas.... All at various points been approachable... They stick with Perez!?

I think the money side is a factor.

Either way I think he'll be gone at the end of the season.

I don't see Perez moving to vcarb, I think they'll bring in Lawson like they should've done this season.

I just can't see Danny Ric being that much better than Checo though, probably a bit better, but not the game changer red bull need. They could do a lot worse than Albon MK2.

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Which is exactly why he won't be hired 🤬

It's weird the whole "don't get a driver that might upset max because max is so much ahead of all the other drivers" because if max is all that, why would he be put out by Sainz or anyone else convincing is the second red bull? Ah, it's not that though is it, it's the demand the whole team be max Verstappen racing which is why Danny flounced out, Gasly bombed out, Albon crashed out and Checo burned out...we want near top tier abilities in our second driver's but also give them nothing of their own. Apart from Rubens all those years and Bottas, who you gonna get who'd put up with that? Exactly, you end up with Perez.

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's weird the whole "don't get a driver that might upset max because max is so much ahead of all the other drivers" because if max is all that, why would he be put out by Sainz or anyone else convincing is the second red bull? Ah, it's not that though is it, it's the demand the whole team be max Verstappen racing which is why Danny flounced out, Gasly bombed out, Albon crashed out and Checo burned out...we want near top tier abilities in our second driver's but also give them nothing of their own. Apart from Rubens all those years and Bottas, who you gonna get who'd put up with that? Exactly, you end up with Perez.

As I've said before, I'm convinced that the team are genuinely scared of how Max would react/cope with having a genuine competitor alongside him. Every time he's under serious pressure, he reverts to spoiled brat mode - if that pressure was coming from within his own team he'd be utterly unbearable - and probably dangerous. He's the very opposite of a 'team player' which means that the team has to bend to his wishes or else we get more of the swearing and blaming everyone, and more of the on-track risk taking that will potentially get someone (possibly himself) killed. Skill-wise, he's up there with the very best, but he'll never be thought of as one of the true greats until he grows-up and learns to control his temperament....and only then can he have a team-mate that can push him rather than lag behind and let him get all the glory...

Silly season gets very silly as Aston Martin launch bid to recruit max Verstappen.

I don't think it'll happen, but I'm indulging myself with thinking how he'd react to being no2 to Team LS (population: Lawrence Stroll, employees of Lawrence Stroll) "move over Max, let lance through."

"We made the best decision for the team by giving all the good parts to lance"

*Off camera, daddy stroll pointing a gun at Max* "Yes everything at Aston Martin is very lovely,I think Lance is as good as I am that is why I'm no2, we have a team that can wi the midfield battle "

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-martin-max-verstappen-lawrence-stroll-negotiations-speculation

4 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Silly season gets very silly as Aston Martin launch bid to recruit max Verstappen.

I don't think it'll happen, but I'm indulging myself with thinking how he'd react to being no2 to Team LS (population: Lawrence Stroll, employees of Lawrence Stroll) "move over Max, let lance through."

"We made the best decision for the team by giving all the good parts to lance"

*Off camera, daddy stroll pointing a gun at Max* "Yes everything at Aston Martin is very lovely,I think Lance is as good as I am that is why I'm no2, we have a team that can wi the midfield battle "

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-martin-max-verstappen-lawrence-stroll-negotiations-speculation

Agent Newey has done a proper job on RBR. They've fallen off a cliff since he announced his departure. Must have hidden away their stock of bendy wings.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Still speculation, what I gather is true though is the regulations have been updated in a "if no one was doing that then why did they need to put that wording into the new regs" way

I get that, but some of the drafts I’ve seen of people trying to explain how a possible system might work and how much effect it may or may not have had don’t seem to make sense.

This years red bull seems to have dropped off a cliff performance wise. Is it just a brake regulation that has allowed this or have other teams used their development time to catch up to RB while they’ve been focussing too much on future seasons?

Asymmetric braking systems offer gains per lap in excess of half a second. Mclaren used one and got banned. Paddock rumours are rife that RBR have knowingly been gaming the regs. No surprise then that Max has been whining about rear end stability when it was apparently the rear axle they were messing with.

FWIW, I think when a car is a second a lap quicker than the field, there is nearly always something going on. Merc were dominant because the hybrid engine they built was way more powerful than anything anyone else could achieve, mainly because of the complexity. Bendy wings and fiddle brakes are a rather different kind of advantage. The rumour is that RBR have been using this system since 2022. The really interesting question is why have RBR not been sanctioned? The answer seems to be that the verbiage covering this in the 2024 regs allowed them to argue that it was not clear what they've done is outlawed. Must have used Karen's lawyer to dodge that bullet!

Same old Red Bull, always cheating 🤷‍♀️

F1 is back, with the Max Verstappen love in Grand Prix from somewhere in the haze of orange flares if recent years are anything to go by.

Alpine as well as ditching their own engine from 2026 have announced the slightly underwhelming choice of Jack Doohan for next season. I won't knock him before he's even raced but there's not really been much buzz about him apart from he's an Alpine driver so has had FP1 fairly regually. For those that don't know, his dad Mick was an awesome MotoGP multipul world champion in the crazy old 500cc 2 stroke days, I seem to remember the end of his career slightly overlapping a certain mr Rossi.

58 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

In shock news Sargeant has crashed in practice (again!) - someone needs to tell him that he's not cut out to be a racing driver.....

It's hard to tell if it was a respons to Williams signing Carlos Sainz or a response to Williams saying their crash damage budget was looking OK now.

51 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's hard to tell if it was a respons to Williams signing Carlos Sainz or a response to Williams saying their crash damage budget was looking OK now.

I dread to think how many millions he's cost them with needless crashes....