DCFC Quiz Night @ Pride Park in support of the Motor Neurone Disease Association

Day

IMG_1301.jpeg

Event organiser Peter Mills is an East Stand season ticket holder and secretary of MNDA (Gloucestershire) branch. He is still close friends with his former John Port School mate Martin Kelly who was first diagnosed with MND in 2017. This cruel and debilitating terminal illness currently has no treatment or cure. However, the search for a cure has accelerated thanks to recent high-profile fundraising efforts from leading sportsmen such as Kevin Sinfield, Rob Burrow and Doddie Weir who once said “MND is not incurable, just underfunded”.

Having observed at close hand the devastating  progress of the disease; Peter says “My old schoolmate Martin was diagnosed with MND at age 59. It’s heart-breaking to see but he battles on with dignity and good humour.  Everyone attending the Rams quiz night will be raising funds to support people living with this dreadful illness and the search for better treatment and a cure." The evening will honour all Rams fans past and present with MND.

Update 30/04/2023:

We are anticipating having a table of ex-players taking part. Roger Davies (who will be asking some of the questions) and Steve Powell are already confirmed. 

In response to feedback, in addition to being able to enrol a team for £30, we are now offering individual places @£8 per head. Just sign up and we will make up teams from the applications.

To sign up email peter.millsdcfc@gmail.com 

Please help to promote the event by retweeting the pinned tweet @millsdcfc 

Thanks everyone

Edited by Animal is a Ram

• 1 month later...

To fellow Rams fans,

Join Roger Davies, Steve Powell and other DCFC legends and sign up for our DCFC quiz night: Pride Park 17th July in aid of @mndassoc. Tables available. Don't worry, most of the tough questions are multiple choice! It’s a fun night to celebrate our unique history and to raise funds. 

Cheers

Peter Mills

Apply to Peter.millsdcfc@gmail.com

To wet your appetite?

Who were Derby’s first opponents in the European Cup in 1972?

In March 2014 Craig Bryson scored a memorable hat trick in the 5-0 win over Forest. Who scored the other two goals?

Who is the only Ram to have scored 6 goals in a league match?

Quiz Night 1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Martin Kelly’s Story of 100-Year Derby County Dynasty.

My father Don Kelly saw his first match at the BBG in 1926, when he was aged 6. In 1967 when I was nine, he took me to see Derby County who were a lowly Second Division team. 

I was a season ticket holder from 1967 and despite moving away in the 1980’s, I always attended a few matches each season. I introduced my own two daughters to the Rams and my three nephews who live in America. When they visited, we saw The Rams play and now they watch on Rams TV.  My Italian and South African sons-in-law have both joined me at matches too.

During my career with Nat West Bank I was bank manager for Rotherham United and once presented Paul Warne with a MOM award. The photo, which is of Paul presenting a painting of Millmoor to NatWest Bank, as a thank you for sponsoring a game.This duty fell to Paul, because I had just presented him with the MoM award.

On a more serious note: Unfortunately Motor Neurone Disease gradually takes away from you the things that are most important. Since being diagnosed in 2017 I have lost the use of my legs and arms. One of the last games I could get to was the Villa play-off final. 

I can no longer speak. I struggle to swallow and am fed through a tube directly into my stomach. Most sadly, I won’t be able to take my grandchildren to Derby County matches. I now watch Rams TV and am very proud that I can personally trace my family's Derby County ties back over 100 years. Please support the quiz, I cannot be there but will watch what I can on a facetime link.

DCFC Quiz Guest list 

Great support from DCFC and the community for the DCFC Quiz Night at Pride Park on 17th July. We are pleased to announce our guest list (as it stands, with hopefully more to come);

David Clowes, Stephen Pearce, Charles Hanson, Jamie Thrasivoulou, Roy McFarland, Eric Steele, Steve Powell, Jamie Ward, John O'Hare, Phil Waller and Roger Davies.

Tables and places still available- contact: Peter.millsdcfc@gmail.com or @millsdcfc to apply.

MARTIN KELLY DCFC Fight Til End  IMG-6651 (1).jpeg

Martin and Family at the Villa playoff final.jpeg

Paul Warne with Martin Kelly.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The DCFC Quiz night for @mndassoc raised over £3000. Fabulous! Attended by David Clowes, Matt McGibbon (Stadium announcer) and 9 ex-players including Roy Macfarland, Roger Davies, Steve Powell and Kevin Wilson who all took turns in being the question master. The other players were Steve Powell, Rod Thomas, Phil Waller, Michael Johnson, John O’Hare and Eric Steele. Photo shows our guests with guest of honour MND sufferer Richard Feist in the foreground.

Thank you fellow Rams fans for promoting and supporting the event.

A special night and if anyone wants to have the question set in exchange for a donation to the Motor Neurone Disease Association, please message me. 

Quiz night legends 1.jpeg