New EFL TV deal coming

Gringo

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

THE NUMBERS

The PL DOMESTIC TV deal is worth £1.6b per year. The PL INTERNATIONAL TV deal is worth £1.77b per year. In total, that's £169m per club.
This new EFL TV deal (DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL) is worth £200m per year (average of £2.8m per club). This includes League Cup money (with some going to PL clubs)

If we ignore the PL's international deal, since the global audience for most EFL clubs is very small, we can get a comparison of how fair the deals are.
Each season, there is roughly 200 PL games shown live in the UK and the average viewing figure is 1.9m - 190m views in total over a season. £8.42 per view.
Each season, there is roughly 120 Championship games shown live in the UK and the average viewing figure is 270k - 16.2m views in total over a season. £12.34 per view.
You could conclude the current deal is more than fair..

I do believe that Sky under market the EFL's product. This is proven by Bournemouth having the lowest average PL viewership during the 19/20 season, whilst the single most watched Championship each season game is usually in the mid-400k's. However, Playoff Finals, which are well marketed, regularly get close to 2m (Forest vs Huddersfield peaked at 2.25m).

It is very obvious that the split in TV money through the top 4 divisions in the country is disproportionate. For example, the average Championship side has a viewership 1/3rd of the lowest in the PL, however, they receive less than 1/20th of the TV money.

I don’t really believe the average viewing figure for a sky game is 1.9 million. Some games get very few viewers and I don’t think even the bigger games will get multiple millions.