Derby Rivalries

Conor_Student21

22 hours ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Exactly this. If you're going to use something, make sure it's made for that reason. You'll get a better response (be that quantity or quality) as the respondents won't get annoyed or bored going through it. This is just very shoddy and half arsed by sending out a survey that's not completely fit for purpose.

My vegetarian partner was accosted on the street yesterday by someone trying to sell a meat subscription box. If the first question was "do you eat meat?" not asking what subscriptions does your household have, talking about supermarkets in general and how to save money on shopping you'd get a better reply. 

The way that it has been explained to me is that it can be difficult to completely have it fit for just football as the response data is used to compare to all of the other sports that you see on the website, meaning that there has to be a similarity to all of the sports. I will relay all of this to my bosses to see how much we can change to make it as suitable as possible.

I suppose the problem with an international study like this is it fails to take into account the differences between systems.  The UK club model is very different to the US franchise model, for instance.  If "The Rams" moved to Lowestoft, most here would not support them.   Rivalry, to a degree, is an inbuilt part of the system for all clubs - as location, and history, come into it. 

I would also be interested in how you are picking respondents.  If it is simply people on a forum like this, or even at a stadium on match day we are all going to be outside the norm.  Ask people in the walking in the concourse on a non match day who tick the box "Derby fan" and they might be more ambivalent.  They might just be visiting Greggs.  

It will be interesting to view your results, but from a UK perspective, I have a feeling this might be a contender for an "ig Nobel Prize".

*Caveat... hasn't done the questionnaire yet so might be misreading this..*

Rivals to me is a traditional, logical rival not a team like Boro or another random who I just can't stand for some whatever reasons, another is Birmingham, but that's not 'rivals', just irritation at their attitude last year and in the past have had stuff chucked at me by their lovely fans, hitting the young family who were sat in front of me.

We have certainly had our share of beef with Leeds and I'm always delighted when we've turned them over and they are very much on the shortlist of teams that I really want to beat but I can't list them as primary rivals. Now we obviously have some logical history with Leeds and they are seriously salty still after the playoff semi-final but they would probably list several teams ahead of us. Wouldn't ever want to be that team who hates another team who is a bit 'meh' *shrug* in return.

It has to be Forest for me. Leicester is another a team I always really want to beat, a bit like Leeds, but if I could beat one then it'd be Forest all day.

Of course, now they've snuck a promotion I have no doubt that they will all be pretending that Leicester were always their main local rivals...

On 31/08/2022 at 17:59, CBX1985 said:

I suppose the problem with an international study like this is it fails to take into account the differences between systems.  The UK club model is very different to the US franchise model, for instance.  If "The Rams" moved to Lowestoft, most here would not support them.   Rivalry, to a degree, is an inbuilt part of the system for all clubs - as location, and history, come into it. 

I would also be interested in how you are picking respondents.  If it is simply people on a forum like this, or even at a stadium on match day we are all going to be outside the norm.  Ask people in the walking in the concourse on a non match day who tick the box "Derby fan" and they might be more ambivalent.  They might just be visiting Greggs.  

It will be interesting to view your results, but from a UK perspective, I have a feeling this might be a contender for an "ig Nobel Prize".

On 31/08/2022 at 20:11, Alty_Ram said:

*Caveat... hasn't done the questionnaire yet so might be misreading this..*

Rivals to me is a traditional, logical rival not a team like Boro or another random who I just can't stand for some whatever reasons, another is Birmingham, but that's not 'rivals', just irritation at their attitude last year and in the past have had stuff chucked at me by their lovely fans, hitting the young family who were sat in front of me.

We have certainly had our share of beef with Leeds and I'm always delighted when we've turned them over and they are very much on the shortlist of teams that I really want to beat but I can't list them as primary rivals. Now we obviously have some logical history with Leeds and they are seriously salty still after the playoff semi-final but they would probably list several teams ahead of us. Wouldn't ever want to be that team who hates another team who is a bit 'meh' *shrug* in return.

It has to be Forest for me. Leicester is another a team I always really want to beat, a bit like Leeds, but if I could beat one then it'd be Forest all day.

Of course, now they've snuck a promotion I have no doubt that they will all be pretending that Leicester were always their main local rivals...

Hi all,

Sorry for the slow response.

I agree that some of the questions are unorthodox, however work is still being done to improve the questions and all of the feedback that I am getting on these surveys is greatly appreciated. 

If you would like to find out more about the study please contact Dr. Peter Dickenson (https://www.lboro.ac.uk/schools/sport-exercise-health-sciences/people/peter-dickenson/) or have look on the Know Rivalry website (https://knowrivalry.com/).

Finally, if you found the survey beneficial I would love if you could share it to any other football fans you know.

Cheers.