MotoGP

Gaspode

46 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Seen some highlights. Wow, I remember how I'd take it real easy in the rain back when I had a bike - that race was fairly wet - I don't know that I'd want to try it!

Some pretty good saves. Good ride from Fabio after the first round sucked for Yamaha.

Before the race they asked a Shaman to walk around the track and encourage the rain to stay away - apparently she claimed that she could control the movement of clouds with her mind - that obviosuly worked well ?

• 2 weeks later...

Forza Aprilia!

It's strange to remember they were a big team in the 2 stroke days because they've been small fry in the 4 stroke era of MotoGP.

Worth checking out the highlights on ITV hub. It was a good race.

I never thought the factory Ducati team would be struggling after the end of last season. Seems Suzuki have a good bike. Another bad weekend for Honda and Yamaha.

• 1 month later...

It's shaping up to be a decent season with the races being fairly unpredictable.

I saw that ITV are going to be showing two rounds live again this season: Germany and GB.

The German MotoGP is in June (19th I think) and the British MotoGP in August (4th I think).

Good move from Dorna as there's reasonable interest despite the lack of British riders in the top class that probably sits in the "would watch if it was on, not gonna buy a subscription to watch it" level.

And of course, the utter wtf move of Suzuki pulling out which has thrown a spanner in the works. I doubt Dorna will be able to get Suzuki to change their minds, they'll probably try to convince KTM or Aprilia to run another satellite team. Shame as the Suzuki looks like a bike that could get some wins this season and their riders are pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, an "oh, s***, I've got to do another lap" moment for the ages in the Moto GP race, and a "full Maldonado" moment at the start. Great Moto 2 race as well.

Starting to look like Fabio is going to get a second title.

Not caught up with the supersport/superstock tt races yet, but I saw they'd been another death (3 this tt I think).

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well, an "oh, s***, I've got to do another lap" moment for the ages in the Moto GP race, and a "full Maldonado" moment at the start. Great Moto 2 race as well.

Starting to look like Fabio is going to get a second title.

Not caught up with the supersport/superstock tt races yet, but I saw they'd been another death (3 this tt I think).

It's basically terrifying! I'm really not sure how they are allowed to run the races in this H & S era and I can't imagine any of the competitors are able to secure any form of insurance. If there's a wilder ride in all of motorport, I've yet to see it. Fingers crossed for no more accidents.

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's basically terrifying! I'm really not sure how they are allowed to run the races in this H & S era and I can't imagine any of the competitors are able to secure any form of insurance. If there's a wilder ride in all of motorport, I've yet to see it. Fingers crossed for no more accidents.

It's utterly crazy in any kind of safety in Motorsport kind of analysis. The counter argument is self determination, they all know the risk and want to do it anyway.

I know when it used to be more common for professional riders to do the TT there was very much a "70% TT riding" eithos but it seems like the top riders at the moment are leaving zero room for error and because the top guys are riding like that the riders who aren't quite as good are taking even higher risks to keep up.

On 07/06/2022 at 13:52, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's utterly crazy in any kind of safety in Motorsport kind of analysis. The counter argument is self determination, they all know the risk and want to do it anyway.

I know when it used to be more common for professional riders to do the TT there was very much a "70% TT riding" eithos but it seems like the top riders at the moment are leaving zero room for error and because the top guys are riding like that the riders who aren't quite as good are taking even higher risks to keep up.

Not sure whether there's a compromise - pros only maybe, I really don't know - but a father / son team are the latest casualties taking the number to 5 so far this year. Something needs to be done. As a spectacle, there's really nothing like it in motorsport, but it feels ghoulish even watching it now. The father had not ridden at IoM since 2017 and the son had never raced the TT.  Lord alone knows how the rest of the family must be feeling.

As far as I understand it, you do have to have a CV of road racing experience before they'll let you ride the TT (sort of like a TT super license) from doing races like the northwest 200 (itself pretty insane) the Ulster grand Prix (also completely insane) and bunch of smaller races in Ireland.

Serious professionals are never going to race the TT these days, can you imagine MotoGP or WSB teams allowing their very expensive riders to go off doing this sort of thing?

You're right though, it can be a bit ghoulish and in reality, there's only so much that could be done to safety in what is so fundamentally a very dangerous course.

But it's also an attitude problem, wanting to win more than to live.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/06/2022 at 21:53, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not sure whether there's a compromise - pros only maybe, I really don't know - but a father / son team are the latest casualties taking the number to 5 so far this year. Something needs to be done. As a spectacle, there's really nothing like it in motorsport, but it feels ghoulish even watching it now. The father had not ridden at IoM since 2017 and the son had never raced the TT.  Lord alone knows how the rest of the family must be feeling.

I struggle to watch now , I used to do regular track days and loved motto gp but again I struggled a bit to watch after Simoncelli was killed , your just so used to seeing them come off and be ok it stupidly shocked me when he was killed 🤷🏻‍♂️