George Williams

GangwayD

Noticed a certain George Williams has gone on loan from MK Dons to Bristol Rovers.

Brought back memories of the Geraint 'George' Williams who Arthur brought in from Bristol Rovers, around 1987, and what an under rated servant he was to the club.  Think he cost less than £50,000 and played about 300 games for us.  Did the dirty work extremely well and could find a pass.  

Always recall, a guy on the Popside whenever he made an interception or pinched the ball would shout 'Well moped up George" ! and this was heard many times.  

I actually didn't like George when he first arrived as he seemed to take my favourite player's position, Micky Lewis, proper hard man who was certainly no nonsense.  He got sent off away at Barnsley I think and we bumped into him on Derby station on the way home and gave us the time of day as we chatted away about the game and Derby.    

Never heard any stories about George off the pitch or what he was like but would by nice to see Rams TV do a feature on him (if they haven't already)

Wonder what they are both doing these days....

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

Noticed a certain George Williams has gone on loan from MK Dons to Bristol Rovers.

Brought back memories of the Geraint 'George' Williams who Arthur brought in from Bristol Rovers, around 1987, and what an under rated servant he was to the club.  Think he cost less than £50,000 and played about 300 games for us.  Did the dirty work extremely well and could find a pass.  

Always recall, a guy on the Popside whenever he made an interception or pinched the ball would shout 'Well moped up George" ! and this was heard many times.  

I actually didn't like George when he first arrived as he seemed to take my favourite player's position, Micky Lewis, proper hard man who was certainly no nonsense.  He got sent off away at Barnsley I think and we bumped into him on Derby station on the way home and gave us the time of day as we chatted away about the game and Derby.    

Never heard any stories about George off the pitch or what he was like but would by nice to see Rams TV do a feature on him (if they haven't already)

Kind Regards

I think Ramstv spoke to him during the first lockdown. Not sure whether you can still access it

? @richinspain

51 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

Kind Regards

I remember him getting into fight with a couple of Forest fans in a chip shop/ takeaway near the end of his time here.  

Got decent money as well from Ipswich about 1992. 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I remember him getting into fight with a couple of Forest fans in a chip shop/ takeaway near the end of his time here.  

Got decent money as well from Ipswich about 1992. 

Cheers Rich - enjoyable watch and pleased to see him doing so well.

Never knew about his brush with some Red Dog fans mentioned above. He came across as no bother but they’d be enough to anger any man !

Cheers

Archived