The Marriott Problem - Is there one?

cheron85

WARNING - POST CONTAINS MENTION OF CONTROVERSIAL PLAYERS - IF EASILY OFFENDED, DO NOT READ ON

I'm not sure its fair to compare Marriott to Martin, different kind of striker. Its been said a lot before, but Marriott likes to play off the shoulder - this wasn't a Martin trait who would come short, hold it up and lay it off to forward runners.

For me, Marriott performs best with ball playing center backs who don't mind taking the ball forward (see Tomori and Keogh). Ball playing CBs create more opportunities for the midfield (and then the forwards) to exploit as players get drawn in. We've seen that the current center backs aren't great at playing the ball out - Wisdom better than Clarke and Davies, but still not enough. I don't think we realize how much we miss the forward runs of Keogh (not saying that it wasn't right to get rid). That's why I assume MTW was brought in to help with that. Unfortunately, its taking time for MTW to get up to speed. I've got faith that it'll work eventually, just means we have to find a solution until it does.

One option in the meantime is to have a front 2 - with one of the forwards deeper lying. I wouldn't mind seeing Rooney play this false 9 role and Marriott running off him. Would mean we have to go with 2 in the center of the park but with Bielik coming back and partnering with Shinnie/Bird/Knight, this could work. Especially if Lawrence/Ibe/Jozwiak/Holmes are able to play that bit more defensively, or Rooney can drop back into a midfield 3. 

The Norwich result, while a great win, was still very defensive with a good slice of luck. We may not be so lucky in future games or have a keeper on such decent form. Having more attacking presence will help.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Luuuuuuvely? 

8159D933-C1B4-4CEE-8399-9322FE85F8EA.jpeg

Too much emphasis on formations.

If a player cannot head it or kick it in the net

If a player cannot pass it to a guy with a similar shirt

If a guy will not mark his man

If a guy will not work hard for 95 minutes

Then what price the formation

5 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

If you think this about Marriott, i'm seriously worried what your thoughts are on Waghorn's finishing ability... ?

Fair point, though I did see someone post on here that Waggy is a bit maligned when comparing his stats with his actual finishing (but the point is well made, I do seem to have hard burned memories of some one on ones that he should have converted).

Besides Chris Martin when was the last natural finisher we had in our club? Someone who you knew, one on one, was just going to bury it? Even someone like Vydra wasn't that clear cut - probably Raziak who wasn't here at the best of times but he could finish. And so many that we hoped would be the one but always fell short, and I'm not just talking about Callum Ball.

Just that before that we always had one - Sturridge, Saunders, Gabbiadini, Wanchope, Johnson, Kitson, even Ince under Mac1. It just feels like we are overdue a blooming good striker - which I do appreciate is no right and they don't come along often.

2 hours ago, maza233 said:

WARNING - POST CONTAINS MENTION OF CONTROVERSIAL PLAYERS - IF EASILY OFFENDED, DO NOT READ ON

I'm not sure its fair to compare Marriott to Martin, different kind of striker. Its been said a lot before, but Marriott likes to play off the shoulder - this wasn't a Martin trait who would come short, hold it up and lay it off to forward runners.

For me, Marriott performs best with ball playing center backs who don't mind taking the ball forward (see Tomori and Keogh). Ball playing CBs create more opportunities for the midfield (and then the forwards) to exploit as players get drawn in. We've seen that the current center backs aren't great at playing the ball out - Wisdom better than Clarke and Davies, but still not enough. I don't think we realize how much we miss the forward runs of Keogh (not saying that it wasn't right to get rid). That's why I assume MTW was brought in to help with that. Unfortunately, its taking time for MTW to get up to speed. I've got faith that it'll work eventually, just means we have to find a solution until it does.

One option in the meantime is to have a front 2 - with one of the forwards deeper lying. I wouldn't mind seeing Rooney play this false 9 role and Marriott running off him. Would mean we have to go with 2 in the center of the park but with Bielik coming back and partnering with Shinnie/Bird/Knight, this could work. Especially if Lawrence/Ibe/Jozwiak/Holmes are able to play that bit more defensively, or Rooney can drop back into a midfield 3. 

The Norwich result, while a great win, was still very defensive with a good slice of luck. We may not be so lucky in future games or have a keeper on such decent form. Having more attacking presence will help.

Good points, thx for the health warning. I think it's no coincidence that Marriott's best performances have come away from home and against teams who have been dominating us. He is custom made for that counter attack, turn the defence on themselves type of play. Rooney can, in theory, spread QB passes behind the line for Marriott to run onto but if you're the opposition you know that so lay a bit deeper and neutralise the threat with ease. Good strikers then find a way, they manipulate their game to suit - Rooney was an absolute master at this in his prime, he could play the rapid counter attack as well as he could be involved in a set piece. I don't see Marriott having that footballing brain and that is why he may have been more successful at a lower level, where teams are a little more challenged tactically and where defences are going to be that yard slower and less switched on.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Agree with most of that. Not sure his pressing ability really comes into the question though, as I’m pretty sure Cocu isn’t interested in playing a High press. He wants to control possession.

Played a decent high(ish) press after the first 15 mins against Norwich to pretty decent effect - would have been even more effective with a striker who could run ?

Archived