The more time in between games, the worse we are?

Sexydadbod

Am I the only one who feels that we are far better as a team when we have a lot of games in a short period rather than for example, having a full week to prepare for a game? I remember saying to myself, great, we’ve got a whole week to prepare for this game and much needed rest but too many times we haven’t capitalised on it, even becoming worse as a side. This isn’t a criticism solely applicable to Lampard by the way because I remember saying the same things under Rowett at times last season. I don’t have full statistical analysis comparing our form and win rate when we have full weeks to prepare for games in contrast to when we have 2-3 games in a week, but there are certain games that stick out in my head. Not just the results but the manner of the performance.

Games that stick out in my head when we have had a full week to prepare- poor results and performances: 

Home v Leeds (L 1-4)

Away v Rotherham (L 1-0)

Away v Leeds( L 2-0)

Home v Villa (L 3-0)

Home V Leeds(play offs L 1-0)

Today V Villa(play offs L 2-1)

When we’ve had 2-3 games in a week:

Away v Hull cup (W 4-0) and away v hull (W 2-1) in same week

Away v Norwich (W 4-3) in same week we played sheff Utd away(although we lost this game)

Home v Brentford ( W 3-1) in the same week as the Away game v Manchester United (W on penalties)

Home v sheff Utd (W 2-1) , Away v West Brom (W 4-1) and Away v boro( 1-1 draw but excellent performance) in same week

Away v Bristol City (W 2-0), Away v Swansea( good 1v1 Draw) and Home v West Brom (W 3-1) in same week

The famous 2nd leg come back away v Leeds(W 4-2), days after the first leg , whereas we were rubbish in the first leg when had longer to prepare .

What are we doing wrong if this criticism  is correct, are we training as well as we could be in preparation for these games- not training hard enough, training too hard, addressing more tactical work when we have less time to prepare?

This leads to my final point, we have had almost 2 weeks since the game against Leeds, for me, that’s almost too long because you lose all sense of match rhythm, which was evident in the first half. Maybe if we are in the same position again in the future, we should have a friendly match with another team about 4-5 days before the actual final to prevent sluggishness.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, europia said:

The break didn't seem to have the same effect on the Villa players, but as mentioned in other threads, they are just better than us. 

It’s a strange one. Makes me wonder if we would have beaten Villa if we played a practice game a few days a go to keep the players ticking over, but then you have the problem if someone got injured 

49 minutes ago, europia said:

The break didn't seem to have the same effect on the Villa players, but as mentioned in other threads, they are just better than us. 

No, they played against a poor Derby team selection. I don't think they looked better than us in the last quarter for sure.

7 minutes ago, europia said:

damage was done by then

Wasn't from great play on their behalf though. I got so bored with our me too, you too me ad infinitum football today.

Archived