Hybrid Vans

Angry Ram

Anyone got any experience with these? Looking at replacing some of our fleet in 2019 and the drive is for us to be greener. The transport guys are very hesitant, recharges, distance blah, blah, blah. I do understand their reluctance, as my gut says the technology is not quite right yet.

My vans are in and around London everyday. Multi drop system. Starting at around 06:00 and coming back around 16:00.. So about 10 hours of stop start driving each day. Do these new vans last that long, or would we need to recharge at somepoint in the day. 

I see a lot about ranges 80 to 100 odd miles but what about times as this would be a bigger issue.

Not my area of expertise, so any advice would be gratefully received. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for Ford and have seen some concepts of the new Custom plug in Hybrid ( will do about 130 miles on a full charge then obviously flick onto the engine to charge / run etc ..) due to be released next year . The technology is well there regarding the manufacturers the thing that would worry me is the infrastructure from the government. Currently only 14000 charging ports in the whole of the UK . Not nearly enough . 

Of course if you get self-charging hybrids, then that problem goes away.

I've been quite a luddite up to now with hybrid/electric vehicles but Mrs Wolfie has just got a self-charging Toyota C-HR (similar set up to the Prius but looks groovy) and I've been impressed with it....when I'm not nearly running people over in car parks etc because they can't hear it, that is.

I'd be hesitant to go full electric in that situation. Hybrid negates the range anxiety.

What is it you carry? Some reports say range drops by half when laden.. but its worth checking out the area to see if you have enough chargers to absorb into your routes. London probably carries most of the charging stations in the country because ULEZ, and some of those will be rapid charge, which (for cars, at least) can get you back to 80% in around 40mins.

18 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I work for Ford and have seen some concepts of the new Custom plug in Hybrid ( will do about 130 miles on a full charge then obviously flick onto the engine to charge / run etc ..) due to be released next year . The technology is well there regarding the manufacturers the thing that would worry me is the infrastructure from the government. Currently only 14000 charging ports in the whole of the UK . Not nearly enough . 

When will it be released in 2019? Arn't BP adding charging points to their forecourts? The charging points are a big issue but we are hoping that we can get in and out of town without having to. 

Do you have a link for this van? Thanks for your help.

6 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I'd be hesitant to go full electric in that situation. Hybrid negates the range anxiety.

What is it you carry? Some reports say range drops by half when laden.. but its worth checking out the area to see if you have enough chargers to absorb into your routes. London probably carries most of the charging stations in the country because ULEZ, and some of those will be rapid charge, which (for cars, at least) can get you back to 80% in around 40mins.

Only light weight stuff, mainly garments. Full electric looks a step too far but trying to find the best hybrid is difficult.

There are certain areas now in East London where even taxi's are banned.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

When will it be released in 2019? Arn't BP adding charging points to their forecourts? The charging points are a big issue but we are hoping that we can get in and out of town without having to. 

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/news/2017/ford-transit-custom-plug-in-hybrid/

Seems the engine is purely a range extender (akin to the previous BMW i3) rather than another engine like the Toyota system.

46 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yeah there's loads being added all the time , government hope to have 3million installed by 2030 . Told early 2019 few on the road already as concepts so shouldn't be long at all. 

there is or was an organisation that would do an audit of your fleet and then give you recommendations of where you could move to lower-emissions vehicles for free. can't remember what it was called but i think it was funded by the Office for Low Emissions Vehicles (OLEV) - https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-for-low-emission-vehicles

On 1 November 2018 at 21:40, Angry Ram said:

That is what we will do.. I don’t need to be replace them all at once..

Management material me.....?

Archived