Karen Carney and trolls

BaaLocks

Saw this morning that Karen Carney received death threats on Twitter after scoring the winning goal in a recent match. How utterly sad on so many levels. I genuinely ask the question 'why' as I can't understand what would make someone think that writing something so vile was acceptable. I could just about be convinced that it was a (very) misguided attempt to get under their skin or maybe vent frustration over losing the match. But what is in someone's head when they can get to a place where they can threaten to kill someone for scoring a goal in a football match? Mad!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Saw this morning that Karen Carney received death threats on Twitter after scoring the winning goal in a recent match. How utterly sad on so many levels. I genuinely ask the question 'why' as I can't understand what would make someone think that writing something so vile was acceptable. I could just about be convinced that it was a (very) misguided attempt to get under their skin or maybe vent frustration over losing the match. But what is in someone's head when they can get to a place where they can threaten to kill someone for scoring a goal in a football match? Mad!

Whoever did it has a criminal mentality and should be locked up for as many years as possible.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Anyone threatening such things online should be traced and locked up for aslong as if they had actually committed the crime.

Don't be silly. Most people a,t one time or another, have said something along the lines of " I'll Kill him if he does that again." or " You want shooting for that."

29 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Don't be silly. Most people a,t one time or another, have said something along the lines of " I'll Kill him if he does that again." or " You want shooting for that."

Surely there is a difference between saying something out loud in the heat of the moment and then actually taking the time to track down her Twitter or Instagram feed and post rape and death threats on her feed?

Trolls are scum, I've said it for years, anyone that posts poo on the internet just to try to get a reaction is the saddest form of life possible.

It's about time these  kind of people were held accountable, trouble is most of them are so thick as pig poo they think it's fine and allowed. That's if they're not cowardly hiding behind an anonymous user name.

Pure scum.

9 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

8 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Surely there is a difference between saying something out loud in the heat of the moment and then actually taking the time to track down her Twitter or Instagram feed and post rape and death threats on her feed?

Trolls are scum, I've said it for years, anyone that posts poo on the internet just to try to get a reaction is the saddest form of life possible.

It's about time these  kind of people were held accountable, trouble is most of them are so thick as pig poo they think it's fine and allowed. That's if they're not cowardly hiding behind an anonymous user name.

Pure scum.

Im with ronnie, its not an 'off the cuff' remark in jest. I think when someone posts something like this it should be considered serious. I know in reality its probably not and probably some saddo who sits in his back room playing x box and surfing the internet all day but even so the hurt they can cause by such posts they should be tracked down and punished for it.

11 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Pure scum.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Im with ronnie, its not an 'off the cuff' remark in jest. I think when someone posts something like this it should be considered serious. I know in reality its probably not and probably some saddo who sits in his back room playing x box and surfing the internet all day but even so the hurt they can cause by such posts they should be tracked down and punished for it.

I agree to an extent, but given the same punishment as if they had actually committed the crime?

10 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

I agree to an extent, but given the same punishment as if they had actually committed the crime?

Well rape and murder these days seems to get someone about 10 years so yeah why not.

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

10 years? Seems harsh, it's society and their upbringing that's at fault you know. ?

Well yes everything is everyone elses fault usually.

To be honest its a shame we dont have an Australia we can send these types to. Clearly serving no useful purpose to society. Be better shot of them somewhere else. 

I loved that story a few years back where a boxer tracked down someone who had abused him online and paid him a visit.  

Don't think the troll was quite as brave then

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Anyone threatening such things online should be traced and locked up for aslong as if they had actually committed the crime.

Never having been on Twitter and having no intention of ever doing so in the future, surely the lunatic perpetrators of these threats can be traceable? If not, then Twitter should be held accountable for allowing such comments on their platform.

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

Never having been on Twitter and having no intention of ever doing so in the future, surely the lunatic perpetrators of these threats can be traceable? If not, then Twitter should be held accountable for allowing such comments on their platform.

I don't know. I know VPN or proxies claim you become anonymous once you use them but I don't believe it.

But you are right. I can't imagine it being allowed here so why do other platforms get away with it.

16 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Mate you need to look up what was posted - reasonable people don't accept the type of posts that were made as anything other than vile, unnecessary and completely unacceptable......

Archived