10 games in.

Mr. P

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so much for the charts @Squid (odd formatting for some reason).

The Experimenta361 commentary adds "Leeds and Brentford have been the most dominant teams in raw shot terms, with Aston Villa and Derby also both bossing matches in a way that’s more encouraging than their league positions would suggest."

We have a "busy attack, quiet defence", are "energetically wasteful" in attack but "formidable" in defence, so come with a "worse attack, better defence".

So the stats appear to say we need to be more clinical up top and we'll have a good season. Both Marriott and Waghorn scored loads of goals last season and the answer may well be to integrate them more into the team as we go on. I wasn't expecting them to have had so little game time, but it's still early days.

We have some options if we wanted to change shape.

Three at the back might give us more license to launch bogle and malone

marriott and waghorn could be paired up front if we sacrifice a centre mid

But one up front with nuge isn't currently producing quite enough goals - particularly away.

Fine margins.

all six new signings out of the starting 11 is a bit odd, and maybe we still have too many 30+

Always find these stats interesting. Pretty much sums up what we’ve all seen, there’s nothing drastic to worry about, but we need to be more clinical and professional in our play if we’re going to have success. We’ve been reasonably fortunate in attack and times, and need to work on creating more chances. That said, our defence has been better than the stats may suggest and with a little more luck we’ll start keeping clean sheets soon.

iirc a similar thread was put in place towards the halfway point of last season and everything it suggested about where we should be compared to where we were ended up being pretty bang on, once the end of the season came.

I'm not really concerned about us this season, I think the positives have far outweighed the negatives. But our attack has lacked bite, I hope as Marriot and Waghorn get more time, that will solve itself.

We've only beaten teams that are near the bottom (apart from the ones that weren't) 

We can't break the struggling teams down (apart from the ones we've beat)

And the only good teams we've played have smashed us. (Apart from the ones that haven't.

Don't need a graph to see we're going down with the small clubs like Bolton  that aren't worthy of sharing the same pitch as Derby County.

Rope or razors, sir?

Archived