iPad

PrivateDerby

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

I'm after a second hand iPad, just for light use... got hold of an old one but it was that old it couldn't download new apps. 

What Gen iPads can handle newer apps? 

After a mini one. 

Thanks

I looked into this when I got my daughters iPad mini a couple of years ago. Just checked, and it still seems to be the same. 

The options these days are still the mini 2, and the mini 4. The mini 4 is considerably faster, with Touch ID. But if that doesn’t matter to you (like it didn’t for us just for our 6 year old), then the 2 is more than wdequate, and continues to run the latest updates. 

Its an odd one, cos they discontinued the 3 when they launched the 4, but kept the 2 available as a belt and braces version of the 4.

anyway, long story short, if you’re specially after a mini one, then you’re after the mini 2 (or mini 4, which is the latest one anyway). 

Apple haven’t released a Mini since the 4 in 2015, I did have my hands on one recently and felt a bit laggy opening and closing apps. 

iOS 12 will be out this month though, it’s more of a maintence, big fix and super boost for older devices. Chances are it “could” make the 4 more useable again.

I wouldn’t look at any Mini’s older than the 4 now though as I doubt even iOS 12 can kick life back into them.

2 minutes ago, PrivateDerby said:

Thanks very much, its only for a 10 year old to do homework on and what not. Shame because I don't ageee with it but that's the way it's gone now...

Looks like a mini 2, I know you said the 4 David but not spending silly money on one.

My daughter gets on perfectly fine with her mini 2. Maybe it’s laggy compared with the latest iPad pros, but she doesn’t know the difference. It’s a damn site faster than the really old iPad 2 that her little brother and sister have to put up with (basically just use that as a night light now). 

Archived