Motorhoming

Day

Anyone hired one before and hit the road?

Missus has a week off in November, wants a lodge in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub. Told her no, we’ve got a bath at home and a bunch of fields behind her.

My idea is renting one, hitting the road and see where we end up, no plans other than rough idea of where to aim for, London, South Coast, through the tunnel into France, back out Cornwall area, into Wales, up to the Lake District down to the Midlands to watch Derby then home.

6ft 3” so a bit worried it will be a week of hell if the weathers crap. Did a week on the Norfolk Broads on a boat, kept waking up with my toes in me mates gob it was that cramped.

Can you just park up anywhere legal or do you have to use camp sites, how long does the power last without hooking up, the toilet? How often does that need flushing out. 

Seen a couple for £400, probably stop in b&b’s for that by time you add petrol, tunnel and camp costs. Just fancy doing something a bit different, strap the bikes to the back of it and a bit of freedom.

Got the dog as well you see.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, froggg said:

Just do it, great fun you can’t be too spontaneous though if you want to stay on proper sites, we got a vw camper this year mainly for me for fishing but great to holiday in as well.

Was looking at Tattershall Lakes as a compromise, similar money you get the hot tub and private fishing peg off the back of the lodge.

Thing is I haven’t had my gear out in years, probably a fair bit to replace now which as you know won’t come cheap. Especially with my tastes. I’m not into the tiddlers like you and if you end up on the wrong side of the lake as the Carp in November I may as well not even bother.

Limited info on the lake the lodge is on, Osprey. Can get a standard lodge no peg and fight for a place on the main fishing lake, but they only have 30 pegs for about 200/300 lodges and caravans, be a nightmare to get on.

Don't fork out hiring anything fancy, there's nothing more miserable than 'cooking' in a vehicle. All you need is a van with a mattress in the back. That's what I've got; no faffing about with sinks and furniture, just somewhere comfortable to sleep that you can park anywhere. 

Don't waste time and money on campsites, shower in leisure centres, eat in pubs and cafes. Generally you can park anywhere if you arrive late, leave early, and don't make it obvious you're staying overnight. The best places are deseted little national trust type car parks on the coast. Don't try to cover too much ground if you haven't got long, you'll just spend all your time driving.

1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

Don't fork out hiring anything fancy, there's nothing more miserable than 'cooking' in a vehicle. All you need is a van with a mattresses in the back. That's what I've got; no faffing about with sinks and furniture, just somewhere comfortable to sleep that you can park anywhere. 

Don't waste time and money on campsites, shower in leisure centres, eat in pubs and cafes. Generally you can park anywhere if you arrive late, leave early, and don't make it obvious you're staying overnight. The best places are deseted little national trust type car parks on the coast. Don't try to cover too much ground if you haven't got long, you'll just spend all your time driving.

My idea was to fling the doors open watching the sun go down as the missus gets the dinner, dinner being a pack of super noodles with chopped up hot dogs. Pubs and leisure centres, may as well grab a b&b as it kinda defeats the purpose. 

Not too worried about the driving, I’ll be alseep

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Don't fork out hiring anything fancy, there's nothing more miserable than 'cooking' in a vehicle. All you need is a van with a mattresses in the back. That's what I've got; no faffing about with sinks and furniture, just somewhere comfortable to sleep that you can park anywhere. 

So ermmm...his wife wants a nice cozy posh with a hot tub, sitting supping champagne in it day and night....and you think a mattress in the back of a van is going to cut it?

?????

Just now, Paul71 said:

So ermmm...his wife wants a nice cozy posh with a hot tub, sitting supping champagne in it day and night....and you think a mattress in the back of a van is going to cut it?

?????

Lambchop is the woman I was looking for when I was 17, when this Transit’s rocking, don’t come knocking!

10 minutes ago, David said:

Me gran had one of those multi coloured strip things at her back door, hated the bloody thing slapping you in the face

Play yer cards right, it won’t be the only thing slapping you in the face big boy.

x

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, David said:

Lambchop is the woman I was looking for when I was 17, when this Transit’s rocking, don’t come knocking!

More fun to do some 'splashing' in the hot tub...cant think of a rhyme off hand though.

Sith Happens
Just now, Boycie said:

Play yer cards right, it won’t be the only thing slapping you in the face big boy.

x

That just sounds wrong.

39 minutes ago, David said:

Anyone hired one before and hit the road?

Missus has a week off in November, wants a lodge in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub. Told her no, we’ve got a bath at home and a bunch of fields behind her.

My idea is renting one, hitting the road and see where we end up, no plans other than rough idea of where to aim for, London, South Coast, through the tunnel into France, back out Cornwall area, into Wales, up to the Lake District down to the Midlands to watch Derby then home.

6ft 3” so a bit worried it will be a week of hell if the weathers crap. Did a week on the Norfolk Broads on a boat, kept waking up with my toes in me mates gob it was that cramped.

Can you just park up anywhere legal or do you have to use camp sites, how long does the power last without hooking up, the toilet? How often does that need flushing out. 

Seen a couple for £400, probably stop in b&b’s for that by time you add petrol, tunnel and camp costs. Just fancy doing something a bit different, strap the bikes to the back of it and a bit of freedom.

Got the dog as well you see.

November? 

Go to Tenerife, pal, all inclusive. You'll be freezing your knackers off around here in November. 

Just now, Gritters said:

November? 

Go to Tenerife pal all inclusive. You'll be freezing your knackers off around here in November. 

Just now, mozza said:

It won't be hot on november.

The sun doesn’t interest me one bit, sat there crisping away. I’ve been to Spain, the Barcelona, Majorca, Costas down to Tenerife, Lanzerote, Fuerteventura. Greece with Corfu and I’ve never been so bored at the lot of them.

Beach, row of shops selling perfume, watches, fags and pottery. Behind that bars, restaurants, then dozens of hotels painted in white. 

Been to one you’ve been to them all.

All inclusive sounds like a Spanish prison camp.

Winter is a great time to explore this country, less busy, can take the dog out longer, it’s great. Did Ashbourne with the hot tub in February.

Plus it’s cheaper. Much cheaper.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Pubs and leisure centres, may as well grab a b&b as it kinda defeats the purpose. 

Not really, because a b&b is just somewhere to sleep, and that's about 70 quid a night. Decent breakfast, quick shower, and the day's your own. 

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

?????

The point being it's actually way more comfortable. I've got a proper bed in mine which I just dive into, instead of faffing about with bits of plywood and foam to sleep in a cramped, L shaped, space with sink in your face. 

I've been living on and off in vans since the 80s; trust me, I know what works. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Not really, because a b&b is just somewhere to sleep, and that's about 70 quid a night. Decent breakfast, quick shower, and the day's your own. 

The point being it's actually way more comfortable. I've got a proper bed in mine which I just dive into, instead of faffing about with bits of plywood and foam to sleep in a cramped, L shaped, space with sink in your face. 

I reckon i will stick to the lodge with hot tub..unless its a winnebago (not sure on spelling)

Do like camping mind but not in November.

2 minutes ago, David said:

The sun doesn’t interest me one bit, sat there crisping away. I’ve been to Spain, the Barcelona, Majorca, Costas down to Tenerife, Lanzerote, Fuerteventura. Greece with Corfu and I’ve never been so bored at the lot of them.

Beach, row of shops selling perfume, watches, fags and pottery. Behind that bars, restaurants, then dozens of hotels painted in white. 

Been to one you’ve been to them all.

All inclusive sounds like a Spanish prison camp.

Winter is a great time to explore this country, less busy, can take the dog out longer, it’s great. Did Ashbourne with the hot tub in February.

Plus it’s cheaper. Much cheaper.

Wow!! Did you go to shrove tide? It's a rare sight if you haven't been before.

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Remember I’m looking to hire one, no way would my missus be down for hiring a transit and slinging the mattress in off our bed for a week. Will have more chance of persuading her to spend a week in the garden in a tent.

Archived