iPhone download speeds miles behind android

Carl Sagan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to see here, nothing to see.

Basically they are looking at 3G/4G connections in the US.

S9+ average speeds of 38.9mbps over 169,000 tests

iPhone X average speeds of 29.7mbps over 603,000 tests!

If you’re testing one phone 434,000 timed than the other you will see a bigger range of results on a 3G/4G connection!

Why not test over the same number of devices? Not get the result they wanted?

Fetch me a facepalm, jeez. 

What a terrible article, I’ve seen better from Kenny Burns!

42 minutes ago, David said:

Using the same Ookla speed test, 4G on EE, come at me Americans with your crappy Verizon! 

Whats that S9+ thirty what? Pffft!

B33A6E4A-87CB-438B-AD89-6C054586655E.png

Screenshot_20180724-083542_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.2ac375ec47d783c33efc5eb5cdb67982.jpg

Samsung's faster , report confirmed

2 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Screenshot_20180724-083542_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.2ac375ec47d783c33efc5eb5cdb67982.jpg

Samsung's faster , report confirmed

I need your network provider, location and are you inside or outside?

I'm with EE on a town new build estate inside the house. 

I knew it would be wrong. There is no way that Apple iPhones can be slower, not when you've paid 4 times as much for them. That would make no business sense would it? I mean, essentially - if two phones look the same and have the same functions, but one is 4 times the cost then you'd at least expect the more expensive phone to be quicker.

And also have an extension socket that you can attach to your genitalia for self-pleasuring purposes. They have one of those right??

2 hours ago, David said:

Nothing to see here, nothing to see.

Basically they are looking at 3G/4G connections in the US.

S9+ average speeds of 38.9mbps over 169,000 tests

iPhone X average speeds of 29.7mbps over 603,000 tests!

If you’re testing one phone 434,000 timed than the other you will see a bigger range of results on a 3G/4G connection!

Why not test over the same number of devices? Not get the result they wanted?

Fetch me a facepalm, jeez. 

What a terrible article, I’ve seen better from Kenny Burns!

Always better when we look at apples and apples. Never the same when someone throws in a pear.

37 minutes ago, eddie said:

I got the S9 a couple of weeks ago.

Download speeds are basically "Hey, it's already finished".

Same. On O2 - at home in Derby I get ~70mbps.

At work though, in Alfreton (where I occasionally lose phone call / text usage due to problems with O2's tower) I get under 20mbps.

I'm not sure it's really the phones OS or Hardware that determines download speed. 

I get exactly the same broadband DL speed on either of my PC's at home, which are vastly different spec and use completely different Operating Systems. Isn't that essentially the same thing?

Android v Apple pissing contest people are as bad as Xbox v PS folks at school ?  

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'm not sure it's really the phones OS or Hardware that determines download speed. 

It plays a part, but the biggest factor is network/location.

Just shown that I can get 50.1 in my office, 67.2 in the front garden and 7.54 in the back garden.

Had I just ran the one test in the back garden with 50,000 people also taking the one result in a poor location that would skew the results of this research.

Then when you see they ran the research over 434,000 more iPhone X tests than Samsung, Well @Carl Sagan

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, David said:

It plays a part, but the biggest factor is network/location.

Just shown that I can get 50.1 in my office, 67.2 in the front garden and 7.54 in the back garden.

Had I just ran the one test in the back garden with 50,000 people also taking the one result in a poor location that would skew the results of this research.

Then when you see they ran the research over 434,000 more iPhone X tests than Samsung, Well @Carl Sagan

giphy.gif

Ha!

First, I suspect I win, but that's obviously because I have a lovely Google Pixel XL:

Screenshot_20180724-213022.thumb.png.9ca41340bbd2e4965cab1137433b54f5.png

Naturally nice cable helps. But the results in the article are entirely valid because of the huge sample size. They looked at over 100,000 S9 tests, making it a totally fair reflection of their performance - in terms of sampling, you'd get a very accurate result looking at just a couple of thousand tests. So the attempted refutation and support for the Apple herd is pure hogwash. ?

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Ha!

First, I suspect I win, but that's obviously because I have a lovely Google Pixel XL:

Screenshot_20180724-213022.thumb.png.9ca41340bbd2e4965cab1137433b54f5.png

Naturally nice cable helps. But the results in the article are entirely valid because of the huge sample size. They looked at over 100,000 S9 tests, making it a totally fair reflection of their performance - in terms of sampling, you'd get a very accurate result looking at just a couple of thousand tests. So the attempted refutation and support for the Apple herd is pure hogwash. ?

We’ve been looking at 4G only, gerroutofit! 

Why sample over 400k more iPhones than Samsung?

53 minutes ago, David said:

We’ve been looking at 4G only, gerroutofit! 

Why sample over 400k more iPhones than Samsung?

Oops! That'll teach me to read the thread. Here's an android 4G speedtest just now:

Screenshot_20180724-223522.thumb.png.e0d5c7a8acfeeefc2afa1419f60856a6.png

The point is they didn't sample at all. They just took the raw data and as there is a big Apple herd in America it's a big number. But the measured speed would only be fractionally more accurate than that for the S9. And both speeds would be extremely accurate given such a large number of results. iphones appear genuinely significantly slower. 

Archived