Squad rotation

ivo_knoflicek

Just reflecting on the Notts performance whilst waiting for the train. I wonder whether Frank will be more positively disposed to rotating his squad. Yes we have a lot of first team players, but he is used to that in his playing career at Chelsea and Man City, where there were European campaigns to be managed alongside league and cups. Even if we go out of both cups at the first hurdle we’ll still play at least 48 games next season.

In recent years I think we have become obsessed with a system and a first choice XI. Then when someone got an injury we would moan about lack of either depth or a plan B.

From what I saw today, I think there will be a “Bryson role” to be filled in our team for most matches. Obviously CB would generally be first pick, but he’s not going to maintain that energy week in, week out, plus there may be times when playing Butterfield there would make more sense.

Bogle, Lowe and Elsnick aren’t going to be first pick all season, but probably each need to play 6 or 7 league games as the next stage of their development. Thomas more like 20 I reckon, maybe Bennett somewhere in between.

it was also interesting to see Pearce playing a sort of John Terry role today - big and strong, winning headers and then bringing it out on occasion. Davies and Keogh would still be my first pick at CB, but maybe not every week.

Up front we might just find ourselves left with Vydra, Martin, Nugent and Jerome. All are top half Championship strikers, with different things to offer.

Mac1 did it a bit - towards the end of 13/14 we had 5 midfielders for 3 slots and 4 wingers for 2. Maybe Lamps shuffling the pack a bit will be what makes the difference this season. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Don’t disagree with that. Just think that the best team may not always be the same 11 players that played in the previous game. Form, fatigue and opposition can all be factors.

Agree form and injury’s are the only reason I would change things.. Fatigue is a myth, just something to keep the sports scientists in a job.. Ask a Croat 

If he wants to play high energy football then he will have no choice but to rotate, which might not be necessarily a bad thing as the players will be in peak condition for the end of the season, where it actually matters. You don’t win the league in September unless you’re forest

3 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Agree form and injury’s are the only reason I would change things.. Fatigue is a myth, just something to keep the sports scientists in a job.. Ask a Croat 

Fair point re Croatia, although I’d like to see them keep that up for nine months. Young players have to play to come through too, and not just 2 minutes of added time off the bench.

Center mid is an interesting one too. Wasn't there today but I take it the midfield was set up a bit like mac 1

that leaves Thorne, hudd and Ledley battling for the deep position with Bryson, bj, butters and elsnik and maybe Ledley could play in one of the more advanced positions on occasion.

I think it looks pretty strong with a good variety of players to fill different roles in different scenarios.

That said I would like a creative midfielder added to that mix I don't think butters is as bad as most make out but I don't think he can fill the creative midfield maestro role!

Archived