Attendances this season in the Championship

plymouthram

Villa were the best supported team with an average of 32,096 at home games. The Rams were the 5th best with an average of 27,175. Our other rivals in the play offs, M'Boro got 25,175 and Fulham 19,896. In all 11,309,726 fans watched Championship football. When we played WBA in the 2007 play off final they were given a bigger allocation of tickets even though we pulled more through our turnstiles that season. The excuse the powers to be, stated that they had a bigger overall fanbase (could never work that one out, even 11 years on). It would be interesting to see how they allocate for this years final. Especially if its Pullis hoof ball versus the Rams. Surely we should get a bigger allocation.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

2nd Leeds 31,524, 3rd Champs Wolves 28,297, 4th Bottom placed Sunderland 27,635, 10th Forest 24,679 and Promoted Cardiff had 20,164

Ugh Forest far more respectable than I'd hoped.

9 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

They counted them by fingers across the barcode readers, leading to a 33% uplift in attendances.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

Villa were the best supported team with an average of 32,096 at home games. The Rams were the 5th best with an average of 27,175. Our other rivals in the play offs, M'Boro got 25,175 and Fulham 19,896. In all 11,309,726 fans watched Championship football. When we played WBA in the 2007 play off final they were given a bigger allocation of tickets even though we pulled more through our turnstiles that season. The excuse the powers to be, stated that they had a bigger overall fanbase (could never work that one out, even 11 years on). It would be interesting to see how they allocate for this years final. Especially if its Pullis hoof ball versus the Rams. Surely we should get a bigger allocation.

That really rankled at the time. I don't recall the justification but it was clearly nonsense and the decision outrageous. And the club didn't seem aware or very fussed.

A shame our attendances have fallen so much. Getting promotion would be a fillip!

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

That really rankled at the time. I don't recall the justification but it was clearly nonsense and the decision outrageous. And the club didn't seem aware or very fussed.

A shame our attendances have fallen so much. Getting promotion would be a fillip!

Didn't something similar happen with QPR even though their home gates that season were much lower?

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Pretty sure it was to do with being a London based side.

10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I didnt even know they were allowed to fit that many people in that ramshackle shed they call a stadium.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Have our attendances fallen? We apparently just made the figures up in the last few seasons according to Mel.

2 hours ago, GenBr said:

I didnt even know they were allowed to fit that many people in that ramshackle shed they call a stadium.

Have our attendances fallen? We apparently just made the figures up in the last few seasons according to Mel.

Sort of answered your own question there - if they were made up as he suggests, then there's nothing really that we can use as a measure to say if they have fallen or gone up.

4 hours ago, angieram said:

Didn't something similar happen with QPR even though their home gates that season were much lower?

That was the one I was thinking about - when you're my age you get these things mixed up. QPR got more tickets despite their tiny attendances; their PR people were trumpeting it and their fans laughing at us. DCFC said both teams had got the same and didn't seem to have any idea there'd been a further one-way release.

Archived