family tree/ancestry

Mostyn6

Sith Happens

Could be worth putting a post on the Forest thread in Football. I reckon one of the red dogs would be able to help, considering they are always living in the past.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:42, Gaspode said:

I did some work on our family tree - biggest issue is that you can go back a couple of hundred years with online records, but you then get to a point where you have to get off your backside and do some real research via church or parish records - the alternative is that you end up trusting other people's research - fine up to a point, but some people are a little slapdash (for example I found one branch that suggested a mother would have been 7 years old when she gave birth - quite clear that the person who had done the 'research' had identified an incorrect person as their ancestor and directed the whole tree in the wrong direction....).

Yeah well said, I followed my niece's online research which took me down a completely different bloodline, I did find after a bit of footwork that my ancestors were from Derbyshire and I'm related to Thomas Cook (yeah him), happens to be my mother's maiden name.

I forgot to say that when I dabbled with the online research, that I was doing my Mum's side (which was tricky because my Grandad was the product of the Lord Of The Manor knocking up one of the maids) - because some mad Australian woman came over to the UK in the late 70s and did the whole history of my family name right back to Elizabethan times and had a massive book published. I'm apparently related to Francis Drake

Always been interested but never done anything about it .But out of the blue I get a letter from an archivist  from Crich who is putting together a website and a second book on men from Crich on the WW1 roll of honour .

Apparently my grandad lied about his age and enlisted at 17 in the army ,his two brother were both wounded but all survived the war .He gave me a lot of info on my family all from Crich and the families of his brothers and their  locations all interesting stuff.

http://www.crichparish-ww1.co.uk/

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

I forgot to say that when I dabbled with the online research, that I was doing my Mum's side (which was tricky because my Grandad was the product of the Lord Of The Manor knocking up one of the maids) - because some mad Australian woman came over to the UK in the late 70s and did the whole history of my family name right back to Elizabethan times and had a massive book published. I'm apparently related to Francis Drake

He'd be very disappointed to know you vote Labour.

38 minutes ago, mozza said:

I've done extensive, in depth research into this,  turns out i'm @steve brummie 's brother!! 

That's what my mum and dad told me to call you!

Mind you, they also tried to tell me that lots of my relatives were lifelong Birmingham City fans!

And as for that rubbish about where babies come from.

Don't even get me started one that! 

Archived