Companies knowing what you are doing online

Sith Happens

Sith Happens

Ok, the title sounds dodgy buts its not.

How do companies know what you are doing online? Yesterday I was looking at hire cars, and I understand why ads for those might then appear on a site like this, however why do i suddenly get emails from them? I am not logged in or anything but obviously have done business with them in the past and they have my emails?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Paul71 said:

How do companies know what you are doing online? Yesterday I was looking at hire cars, and I understand why ads for those might then appear on a site like this, however why do i suddenly get emails from them? I am not logged in or anything but obviously have done business with them in the past and they have my emails?

It's because you are logged in to Google and Facebook. Website owners install bits code from Google and Facebook on their sites. The website owners don't know you visited, but Google and Facebook do. Website owners can then run something called Retargeting ads on Facebook and Google, reminding you to come back and complete the purchase you started. 

Cookies. I assume they know where you've been?

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cookies. I assume they know where you've been?

But how do they know my email

This forum is currently displaying ads from Google, you can opt out of personalised adverts here...

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB

Google basically uses a cookie which tracks the websites you visit so they can tailor the adverts to your interests. If you opt out they will no longer use that cookie and you will see a random selection of adverts.

As for the car site emailing you, I’m guessing they have a cookie in place that has detected you have been on their site which is why you have emails. 

Had the same earlier today from a clothes store, we saw you looking at these earlier, if you find them cheaper elsewhere we can price match.

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, David said:

This forum is currently displaying ads from Google, you can opt out of personalised adverts here...

https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB

Google basically uses a cookie which tracks the websites you visit so they can tailor the adverts to your interests. If you opt out they will no longer use that cookie and you will see a random selection of adverts.

As for the car site emailing you, I’m guessing they have a cookie in place that has detected you have been on their site which is why you have emails. 

Had the same earlier today from a clothes store, we saw you looking at these earlier, if you find them cheaper elsewhere we can price match.

Yeah that's it, but I regularly clear cookies etc.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Do you have a prefill login for Google (gmail) or social media or even Microsoft ( hotmail) you can scrape emails from these?

I sign in with my Hotmail account but it's gone to a different email.  I don't sign in with my Google account.

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

At sometime you have forgotten to tick /untick a marketing box and then someone [not David] has passed on sold  your details at a guess. 

Yeah, it's just how they know it's me I don't get.

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

I sign in with my Hotmail account but it's gone to a different email.  I don't sign in with my Google account.

You see if you visit any of my sites via Google and your logged in I can scrape your email and backup from the big "G", if your not logged in then maybe they are scraping via your IP address.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

You see if you visit any of my sites via Google and your logged in I can scrape your email and backup from the big "G", if your not logged in then maybe they are scraping via your IP address.

It's weird though cause my ip isn't static. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

It's weird though cause my ip isn't static. 

It's because I haven't got a ducking clue :lol:

If you have logged into a site previously and travel to another site you can retrieve a lot of data, if you clean your data frequently you must be almost OCD mate, I just can't be arsed.

Sith Happens
Just now, LesterRam said:

It's because I haven't got a ducking clue :lol:

If you have logged into a site previously and travel to another site you can retrieve a lot of data, if you clean your data frequently you must be almost OCD mate, I just can't be arsed.

Do it loads.  Seems to make my laptop faster.

Dunno, could be worse I suppose. 

Archived