Top 5 Key Players So Far (Squawka)

Nuwtfly

Evening all,

Just been having a browse through the Derby County stats on www.squawka.com - some really interesting stuff on there, especially when comparing how are football is (statistically) different than under previous managers like McClaren and Clement.

Most of all, I found the overall stat points for each individual player to be quite telling. Here's the top five:

1) Curtis Davies (413pts)

2) Richard Keogh (316pts)

3) Matej Vydra (233pts)

4) Tom Huddlestone (200pts)

5) Andre Wisdom (154pts)

The next few to follow are Scott Carson (119), Sam Winnall (113) and David Nugent (89). Very interesting (to me, at least) to see our defenders topping the billing. Normally, it tends to be attacking players who pick up the most points, for goals, assists and key passes. Perhaps this is evidence to the claim that Rowett is making us a much better side defensively. Or perhaps that, though we're good at the back, we need our attacking players to contribute more.

Well worth a look if any of you are , like me, bored. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. How do they weight the scoring for attack / defence contributions? With Keogh you could see him scoring highly because of his attacking play as well as our strong defensive performances. Not sure if Davies has the same attacking output but he has been excellent in the last 7 games - has become the player we thought we bought.

Also worth remembering that the attackers have been rotated a lot more. Would that make a difference e.g. points are shared out rather than landing with 1 or 2 players like they would previously.

Curtis Davies also makes the WhoScored team of the season to date (as does Cyrus Christie for the haters on here):

59fc52d014870_20171103WhoScoredteamoftheseason.thumb.JPG.da5d0d40a0344d657fe62d86b2d36002.JPG

I do love looking at stats, including the WhoScored head to head (which predicted we'd win 1-2 at Leeds last week). In that it was noteworthy that the Derby players were on average several inches taller and several years older than the Leeds players. I like having a physically strong and imposing team, as long as there's also room for skill. Is the extra experience that we now have what we've been missing the last few seasons in the attempts to get over the line?

If I'd had to call this myself I probably wouldn't have come up with the same order but after the event you can see the reality of it

Vydra has scored goals now he has a position and the support he likes and needs

Keogh is the driving force he always has been

Wisdom when playing has added a level of quality we didn't have ... And it shows here

Huddlestone started brilliantly IMO but has plateaued and had some very average games BUT he has the ability to make point scoring passes

Davis is the surprise for me. Solid dependable .. So much so you don't always notice what he's doing yet the stats tell the story. 

Interesting post ... Thanks :)

I think they get marked on what they do, obviously not penalised for what they fail to do.

the Leeds goal is interesting.

Davies leaves Lasogga unmarked.

keogh makes a valiant attempt to get across and cover and dives in.

no doubt that some seeing keogh dive in might suggest he was at fault.

certainly if he had left lasogga unattended he would have been blamed.

Archived