3-4-3 (playing against it, possibly adopting it?)

AshfieldRam

Not sure if people will agree with me here, but the 3-4-3 of Wolves worked absolute wonders against us on Saturday. The amount of space their wing backs got was ridiculous at times and they always had an out ball. Now for me, the 4-3-3 and the way we lumped the ball forwards played right into their hands. 

The midfield 3 were slow and narrow, allowing the ball to be spread out wide with ease. The only way to counter that was for one of Forsyth/Wisdom to push up (which left space for one of their front 3), for one of Russel/Weimann to push back or for one of the CM's to go out to deal with them. The second option isn't too much of a problem as the way we've used the formation in the past has relied on wingers tracking back, but the problem we had then is nobody was near Martin for the knock downs (if he could win the against the 3 CB's) so they regained possession and the cycle restarted again. 

I know we didn't perform to great but it just appeared far to easy for Wolves to knock it about and attack with numbers. 

Antonio Conte had massive success with it last season and now more and more teams are adopting it. Maybe with our lack of pace in the middle of the park its something we should be looking at too? We have pace in wide areas and a ready made RWB in Anya. 

I'd like to see something like this

Carson

Wisdom             Keogh          Davies

Anya                                                                                  Forsyth

Huddlestone       Johnson

Lawrence                                        Vydra

Martin

*Weimann if Lawrence doesn't sign

This way, we can better utilise what we already have in the squad. Have 3 at the back constantly, 2 tough tackling ball playing midfielders and 2 players close to Martin for the knock downs if we do persist with the long ball

I understand a formation change won't be able to be implemented over night but going forward I'd like to see something like this implemented maybe 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

Not sure if people will agree with me here, but the 3-4-3 of Wolves worked absolute wonders against us on Saturday. The amount of space their wing backs got was ridiculous at times and they always had an out ball. Now for me, the 4-3-3 and the way we lumped the ball forwards played right into their hands. 

It's exploitable if you know how - Our tactics weren't right and instructions were all wrong

We had some joy in the first 20 mins playing balls to Weimann and Russell into the gaps behind the wing backs - That's how you beat this formation - Then for some reason we were pushing them both inside and trying to play everything through the middle

Needed Bryson and Johnson playing their natural box-to-box game - Get Huddlestone to keep slipping balls in behind the wing backs - Crosses from deep by Wisdom and Forsyth whipped in behind the defence (or even in front for the onrushing Johnson)

25 minutes ago, AshfieldRam said:

The midfield 3 were slow and narrow, allowing the ball to be spread out wide with ease. The only way to counter that was for one of Forsyth/Wisdom to push up (which left space for one of their front 3), for one of Russel/Weimann to push back or for one of the CM's to go out to deal with them. The second option isn't too much of a problem as the way we've used the formation in the past has relied on wingers tracking back, but the problem we had then is nobody was near Martin for the knock downs (if he could win the against the 3 CB's) so they regained possession and the cycle restarted again. 

I know we didn't perform to great but it just appeared far to easy for Wolves to knock it about and attack with numbers. 

Antonio Conte had massive success with it last season and now more and more teams are adopting it. Maybe with our lack of pace in the middle of the park its something we should be looking at too? We have pace in wide areas and a ready made RWB in Anya. 

I'd like to see something like this

Carson

Wisdom             Keogh          Davies

Anya                                                                                  Forsyth

Huddlestone       Johnson

Lawrence                                        Vydra

Martin

*Weimann if Lawrence doesn't sign

This way, we can better utilise what we already have in the squad. Have 3 at the back constantly, 2 tough tackling ball playing midfielders and 2 players close to Martin for the knock downs if we do persist with the long ball

I understand a formation change won't be able to be implemented over night but going forward I'd like to see something like this implemented maybe 

I said at the start of the season that we should try 3 at the back ! Our wingers are poor and we have plenty of forward options.(especially if we sign Lawrence ) I would probably go Bryson instead of Johnson.

I think three at the back is definitely worth a try.  Ironically we've probably sold the best  player we had to play right wing back (though that doesn't bother me).  Don't see what harm it can do... can't be (much) worse than Saturday!?

I certainly liked it when Jim Smith played it.

Any formation is exploitable and any can be countered.

Manure lined up 433 yesterday but 2 of their 3 midfielders were shown to have been literally all over the pitch. From what has been written on here our 3 are viritually holding hands in the centre circle all game.

If johnners has no control/passing ability and Jacob no energy/pace and Tom no mobility then as a group they are unlikely to prosper whatever the formation. 

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Any formation is exploitable and any can be countered.

Manure lined up 433 yesterday but 2 of their 3 midfielders were shown to have been literally all over the pitch. From what has been written on here our 3 are viritually holding hands in the centre circle all game.

If johnners has no control/passing ability and Jacob no energy/pace and Tom no mobility then as a group they are unlikely to prosper whatever the formation. 

I can hardly remember any of them going into the centre circle sadly 

Right, I'm going for this (assuming no signings, injuries or returns from injury):

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh  Davies

Anya.                                                           Forsyth

Huddlestone    Bryson

Butters

Martin.      Nugent

I too have been mulling this over since Saturday. I was very impressed with Coady in the middle of Wolves' three - he barely had to do any defending because of the two CBs beside him, he started everything off and organised. This position is made for Huddlestone, who can step out to use his range of passing when we are building posession. Unfortunately I can't find a place for Wisdom in this formation, but I'd like to see the following given a chance.

Carson

Keogh   Huddlestone    Davies

Anya         Butterfield   Johnson        Forsyth

Vydra    Weimann

Martin

5 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Right, I'm going for this (assuming no signings, injuries or returns from injury):

Carson

Wisdom  Keogh  Davies

Anya.                                                           Forsyth

Huddlestone    Bryson

Butters

Martin.      Nugent

Swap butters and Bryson around positionally and bring vydra in for nugent, other than that this the team id go for currently. Think you'd want Bryson in something of a freeish role so he has license to break past Martin in possesion and press up the pitch without the ball. Whereas I think Butterfield is better at sitting in position and spraying passes.

Archived