Joe McClaren interview re: Scouting

cannable

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/08/2017 at 03:10, RamO said:

Well this goes some way to explain why we don't sign many players from overseas. The stats on players in leagues dissimilar to the championship are down-weighted. This could possibly mean that an awesome player (statistically) in a Spanish League might have similar stats to an average player in the Championship. 

I'm not expressing an opinion on this. Scouting is obviously a very complicated task with many factors involved. Statistics being only part of the story.

Noticed this as well... have to argue either our down weighting is too strong or our appetite for risk is low. With all clubs particularly championship and above looking at similar stats not sure we are ever going to sign a stand out performer from abroad. As either a championship club may have took the gamble a bit earlier before it became obvious or they then stand out so much it's worth a prem club going in?

On 10/08/2017 at 08:06, Igorwasking said:

I work in IT, and use data all the time. If you consider the approach as the following, it can inform very insightful decisions;

Data - raw data - like players stats.

Information - the analyst interprets the data - like "that players arial duel data is impressive"

Knowledge - knowing that certain data points need to be supported by others - I.e. The quality of the opposition faced

Wisdom - Having done this for so long - immediately sensing what you are looking at and what it means, and therefore how to act.

What I see is that data is a great way to tell you what to look at - but without wisdom, you are not certain of making good decisions based on that data.

We haven't got a great recruiting record of late - might that improve now we have Wisdom?

?

I knew what was coming from about half-way through!

Archived