Clough, Maxwell & Me

Ellafella

To the Quad tonight for Stuart Webb's book promotion. One hour simply wasn't enough as SW and the former stadium announcer at the BBG galloped through three decades of Stuart Webb's side of the story...great little snippets of how he raided every petty cash box at the BBG to find the cash to sign Colin Todd as Sam Longson choked on his cigar following Clough's telegram "Send £165,000 sharp...I've signed Colin Todd". How Maxwell asserted that Ohh Mark Wright was injury prone as a ruse not to sign him {Maxwell's money was drying up quickly} so again SW emptied his fellow Director's bank accounts to put down the 10% required...

As you'll all be no doubt aware, Stuart was the perma-tanned, suave "secretary" of the Rams who ran between the Royal Courts of Justice and Cap'n Bob's mansion office as the Inland Revenue vultures swarmed around a winding up order with Derby County unable to afford the champagne to celebrate Derby County's 100 year birthday in 1984, but somehow at the 11th hour Stuart managed to save the Club almost single-handedly with literally minutes to spare.

We owe Stuart big time for that...now, looking barely over 40*, and sun-kissed from the Florida golf sunshine, I for one wouldn't mind a few rounds of golf with him {I don't actually play and don't possess any golf bats} just to hear the stories that are not really suitable for a public airing. So thanks Stuart for saving Derby County. The best line of the night for me was his recounting of Graham Richards' description of Robert Maxwell as "He's one giant, cosmic, bas-turrrd". How I laughed.

Buy Stuart Webb's book...it's £15.00 and on a quick flick through, replete with Derby County stories and details that will make you laugh. How our great club just keeps on delivering!

* he must be at least 75!34org52.jpg241vv2r.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, jagerbob said:

No doubting what he did for the rams.

Would anyone else who worked at Lonsdale travel like to confirm what an arse of a boss he was?

did a couple of years there. Not got anything nice to say about him. Got plenty to say that could get me (and Daveo) in trouble, so will keep to myself.

Would like to read the book though. See how much bullsausage I can spot!

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

did a couple of years there. Not got anything nice to say about him. Got plenty to say that could get me (and Daveo) in trouble, so will keep to myself.

Would like to read the book though. See how much bullsausage I can spot!

Interesting. You can't help but admire his innovation...huge long list BUT Clough couldn't bear to be in the same room as SW. 

Archived