Missing Children

LesterRam

140k children reported missing every year, most of them returned safely through a dedicated police force, why do so many children decide to leave home and never return, is our parenting skills poorer than previous generations, do they feel peer pressure to be body beautiful or don't we just dedicate enough time to them, we are working longer hours and is that added pressure to buy the latest gadgets, to have a larger home and the latest cars, have we forget the fundamentals of bringing up kids?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
48 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

140k children reported missing every year, most of them returned safely through a dedicated police force, why do so many children decide to leave home and never return, is our parenting skills poorer than previous generations, do they feel peer pressure to be body beautiful or don't we just dedicate enough time to them, we are working longer hours and is that added pressure to buy the latest gadgets, to have a larger home and the latest cars, have we forget the fundamentals of bringing up kids?

Its hard to say, i understand something like 90% are found within a couple of days and 99% within a year.

Its still a lot of children missing that arent found.

My guess ,though i may be wrong is that most of the 90% are kids who go missing when challenging authority of their parents, maybe trying to make a point then realise where they are better off.

The ones who dont return, thats the scary one, you have to expect that most are surely running away for a reason, maybe abuse of some description? Some of course wont have run away but been taken for some reason.

Your question about parenting skills being poorer, you only have to walk round derby and you are almost certain to see some kids being yelled (swore at) for hardly any reason, or bribed with sweets to behave.

I do actually think though most kids are parented well, certainly those i know, the only fault i would pick with some is they seem mollycoddled, wrapped in cotton wool and seem to have little understanding of the big wide world.

Sith Happens
16 minutes ago, Anon said:

This is compared to when? I'm not sure there ever was an idyllic time when all family units were unbreakable, just that disappearances weren't reported and recorded nearly as frequently.

Very true and there are more kids of course so would be interested to know how it holds up as a % not an actual figure

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

This is compared to when? I'm not sure there ever was an idyllic time when all family units were unbreakable, just that disappearances weren't reported and recorded nearly as frequently.

well yeah probably right, but we are experiencing less family units in one area, rising house prices are driving families apart, no longer do you live near your folks through work or shortages of housing in that area, probably a reason why the elderly are also experiencing lack of support from family members?

On 25/04/2017 at 09:39, LesterRam said:

Interesting.

I'm going to have a think about this tomorrow while I'm working and try and come up with a wise answer.

Tragic to think about one of your kids running away.

On 4/25/2017 at 09:39, LesterRam said:

I don't think so.. Good parents and bad parents throughout the ages. Good and bad kids throughout the ages. Both of mine have grown up now and I am proud of them as men.. 

Pressure, yes.. I had pressure as a kid.. The right clothes, shoes, gadgets. No different from today really. 

Install good morals, rights and wrongs. Listen, be there for them, have patience. Be an example.

Again, no different from any other time. All we can do is the basics and then hope they make good choices. Friends are crucial.. Good friends, happy days.. Bad friends.. Hmmm.

Medium Angry was never a problem from day 1.. Almost too easy. Little Angry was a different story when he was younger but even with angry coloured specs, now one of the finest young men I know. 

Again, nowt new.. Good parents, I would guess, have not changed much over the years.

Most missing children reported to Police are children in care, whether they're living in care home's or with foster carers.

Regular missings are normally the teenagers who walk out of their care home everyday at all times of the day and night. They're automatically reported missing and it falls on the Police to find them. 

They normally return when they've had their fill of drink fags and sex.

Archived