Mason Bennett

OoooMarkWright

12 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

Why do we think Mason Bennett hasn't progressed as it was hoped he would when he was 15/16?  What he overated then?  Did his physicality benefit him when playing again boys but doesn't help against men?  Or might it still happen for him?

An ex manager of ours (I forget who but sure it was Clough) said of Bennett, he has all the footballing ability to be able to play at the highest level, but not the footballing intelligence to know when to do what.

He was very young when he made his debut so he may have improved that side of his game.

Id still rather try a young lad with everything to prove than someone who is paid 20 odd k a week to bench warm...it worked for Will Hughes and Jeff Hendrick.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see Mason given a chance. He has had a series of injuries that have hampered his progress but he is fully fit again now.

He is also very direct and I would like to see him used as an impact sub - our other impact subs haven't exactly staked a claim for a regular starting place recently, have they? 

Watched him a few times in the under 23's - for the comment saying he doesn't suit playing wide left of a 4-3-3, that's exactly where he's been playing - and playing very well. I would like to see Elsnik and Bennett get some game time with the first team towards the end of the season. If we're still around the same position now by the end of March I'd rather see our own youth players like Elsnik and Bennett getting time on the pitch than De Sart or Russell/Camara, they've not exactly been fantastic themselves this season

7 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He has been playing well for a fair few games now, not just the one.

He said at the start of the season this was a big year for him and he is going to kick on.

He seems to be sticking by his words and I think he deserves a chance.

I've only seen highlights of the U23's matches on Rams Player, so can't say I'm massively in the know. But when you've got other players taking the headlines and affecting the games more (Elsnik, Rawson, Guy, Vernam have all been more prominent names this season) I'm just wondering why Mason deserves a chance over those guys?

Timi has impressed on his few appearances, and as I said there are a number of attacking first team players patiently waiting on their chance. Can't see why Bennett would deserve a chance over 3-5 other forwards...

It seems like this convo has come about because Mason scored a goal against Lpool's youth team.

He's fast, puts a shift in, runs too often to dead ends, has poor final pass and is not exactly cleverest player there is.

So as fit as all the other options, some might say.

He is the biggest reason we could afford to sell Russell IMO. Anya as a first choice, Camara and Bennett could make the numbers.

6 hours ago, r4derby said:

I've only seen highlights of the U23's matches on Rams Player, so can't say I'm massively in the know. But when you've got other players taking the headlines and affecting the games more (Elsnik, Rawson, Guy, Vernam have all been more prominent names this season) I'm just wondering why Mason deserves a chance over those guys?

Timi has impressed on his few appearances, and as I said there are a number of attacking first team players patiently waiting on their chance. Can't see why Bennett would deserve a chance over 3-5 other forwards...

It seems like this convo has come about because Mason scored a goal against Lpool's youth team.

I think it has come about because he has played well over a number of games in a position where we are having problems. Were you at the game tonight? If so, you will have seen what I mean.

Elsnik is a midfielder playing in a similar role to Butterfield, who was probably our best player tonight. Although I am not averse to seeing him given a chance either.

The other three players that you mention are all out on loan and not available. 

9 hours ago, Boss said:

Watched him a few times in the under 23's - for the comment saying he doesn't suit playing wide left of a 4-3-3, that's exactly where he's been playing - and playing very well. I would like to see Elsnik and Bennett get some game time with the first team towards the end of the season. If we're still around the same position now by the end of March I'd rather see our own youth players like Elsnik and Bennett getting time on the pitch than De Sart or Russell/Camara, they've not exactly been fantastic themselves this season

We could certinatly give him game time now! 

17 hours ago, angieram said:

I think it has come about because he has played well over a number of games in a position where we are having problems. Were you at the game tonight? If so, you will have seen what I mean.

Elsnik is a midfielder playing in a similar role to Butterfield, who was probably our best player tonight. Although I am not averse to seeing him given a chance either.

The other three players that you mention are all out on loan and not available. 

Last night showed a problem that we've had this season, and possibly the past few - breaking down stubborn defensive teams. I wouldn't say that's solely down to the LW. I get your point though, and the debate on this thread is whether Mason should get a go at LW. Personally I would like to see him continue his impressive displays for the U23s for now.

I am aware those others are out on loan, which shows that they are at a level ready to play competitively. 

Archived