Clock change

Bridgford Ram

I started thinking - far to much - about how the clock change actually works.  I must have been through 80 of these and never really thought about it, especially now when most of the clocks in the house change themselves.

I have always sort of known that the clock change happens at 2pm, but what is it happens?  More and more business is international and 24:7 meaning that a time in the UK that was previously a time everyone was in bed is now probably important for lots of reasons.

Looking at Sky+ it seems the time gets to 2pm and then goes back to 1pm and does that hour again.

If you are working the night do you have to work an hour extra in October but an hour less in March?

Do people on medicines just include the extra hour and adjust their times the next day?

How do countries that don't have a concept of daylight saving cope with the fact we will have two 1.30ams tomorrow?

Or am I just thinking about it too much?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I started thinking - far to much - about how the clock change actually works.  I must have been through 80 of these and never really thought about it, especially now when most of the clocks in the house change themselves.

I have always sort of known that the clock change happens at 2pm, but what is it happens?  More and more business is international and 24:7 meaning that a time in the UK that was previously a time everyone was in bed is now probably important for lots of reasons.

Looking at Sky+ it seems the time gets to 2pm and then goes back to 1pm and does that hour again.

If you are working the night do you have to work an hour extra in October but an hour less in March?

Do people on medicines just include the extra hour and adjust their times the next day?

How do countries that don't have a concept of daylight saving cope with the fact we will have two 1.30ams tomorrow?

Or am I just thinking about it too much?

I think you're thinking too much mate.. 

I think it's important to think about seemingly random things so good on you Bridgford for putting it out there.

Our minds need more than X Factor and celebrities.

As for your query though I've got no idea but I myself was talking about time today on the way down to game when my other half mentioned the clocks going back and her saying we get an extra hour in bed. I said that essentially time is a man made ideology and thus doesn't actually exist. Who decided there is to be 24 hours in a day? 60 minutes in an hour. Time cannot be measured.

I'm sure some clever bod could work out the exact hours,minutes,seconds in a year and divide them up more accurately so as there would be no need to alter the clocks twice a year, summat like 23 hours , 59 minutes 37 seconds per day as an example..

1 hour ago, mozza said:

I'm sure some clever bod could work out the exact hours,minutes,seconds in a year and divide them up more accurately so as there would be no need to alter the clocks twice a year, summat like 23 hours , 59 minutes 37 seconds per day as an example..

there is no need anyway.....lots of countries don't.

6 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think it's important to think about seemingly random things so good on you Bridgford for putting it out there.

Our minds need more than X Factor and celebrities.

As for your query though I've got no idea but I myself was talking about time today on the way down to game when my other half mentioned the clocks going back and her saying we get an extra hour in bed. I said that essentially time is a man made ideology and thus doesn't actually exist. Who decided there is to be 24 hours in a day? 60 minutes in an hour. Time cannot be measured.

Nope, x factor et al is it.

No more working the pubs and clubs, networking, being part of a culture, being in the hub, musician mates down town, managers in the know, local scene etc.

It's three people sat at a table who will tell you if you are good or not.

If they say no, it's time to put that microphone down and get some extra shifts in at Asda.

I hate it, i look forward to the end of march when we move them forward again.

Lets just have CET and have done with it. Rather have extra light in the evenings than morning any day and in the summer so much day light is wasted, its light at 4am.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

I hate it, i look forward to the end of march when we move them forward again.

Lets just have CET and have done with it. Rather have extra light in the evenings than morning any day and in the summer so much day light is wasted, its light at 4am.

Try saying that to the agricultural and farming industry. 

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Try saying that to the agricultural and farming industry. 

Thats what i was always told...yet it would seem its not really the case, modern farming methods dont rely on the daylight like they used to it seems.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Thats what i was always told...yet it would seem its not really the case, modern farming methods dont rely on the daylight like they used to it seems.

I've got 3 young kids to get to school down one of the busiest roads in Derby..... think hundreds of kids going to same school in dark would be a big issue too. 

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I've got 3 young kids to get to school down one of the busiest roads in Derby..... think hundreds of kids going to same school in dark would be a big issue too. 

There is an argument that having extra light in the evenings for the daily commute home is safer than having it in the mornings. I appreciate school children come home generally outside of the normal commute anyway so maybe the argument doesnt apply as much for them.

More people are injured during evening rush hour than morning.

It's a big issue in the IT industry where you have 24x7 batch processing of jobs. We essentially have to suspend all processing for an hour, otherwise you do indeed end up with situations where job A and job B run one after the other but job B ends up with an earlier time stamp. And that is bad :)

Archived