The Southampton model/Derby way/Mels dream

NottsRam77

3 hours ago, jagerbob said:

just what i was thinking.... and i dont even know what or who iirc is

If I remember correctly. I think you are saying he doesn't. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Ok while I'm still getting my head round what's happened today one thing that did Jump to mind was how does this fit into Mels Derby way.

obviously we're assuming our style of play will improve, win, lose or draw I would never argue that mclaren in his last tenure didn't always try and play good football, even more so when compared to the dross we've had this season under Pearson 

so that's criteria number one ticked.

my question is, how does this impact on the accademy and the 'pathway' from accademy to the first team.

1st Time round from what I can remember Mac didn't exactly use the accademy. Why would u to be fair when u can pull in the likes of bamford, Ibe, lingard, wisdom etc etc, but then this doesn't fit into the Derby way and Mels one per season rule that he's quite clearly stated on numerous occasions.

do we think we'll hit the loan market for more instant quality in January to try and propel us up the table for an attempt at some instant success or will Mel, Steve and us as fans be happy to bide our time and allow our own some game time to allow them to grow and be our next Hughes, Hendrick et al.

Just a thought 

Style of play SHOULD improve. Hopefully.

The academy is a worry as like you've said, he rarely touched the youth squad in his last tenure. I remember him using Alefe Santos & Ivan Calero in a cup match against Charlton, Which Calero scored the winner. 

The loan market isn't as easily accessed nowadays compared to 3 years ago, I'm sure we will see 1 or 2 come in Loans but wouldn't be surprised at seeing some new permanent faces come in. He will have seen alot of the french market while working at Newcastle and maybe saw 1 or 2 gems that they didn't manage to pick up in the January window before he was sacked. Maybe we could go in for them and see what they're like, Newcastle have a good record with French signings.

I'm sure Mac will want instant success but maybe if we don't get anywhere this season it isn't a failure. If you look at the quality in this league this season then it was always going to be a struggle to get anywhere near the auto's. Play offs were definitely our best hope this year but even that it looking slim now. 

I think we should just enjoy the season and see where we end up. If we have another play off run then so be it. But i'm not expecting anything of this season, I just want to see passion, effort & good football from this very talented squad.

25 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

The academy is a worry as like you've said, he rarely touched the youth squad in his last tenure. I remember him using Alefe Santos & Ivan Calero in a cup match against Charlton, Which Calero scored the winner. 

The loan market isn't as easily accessed nowadays compared to 3 years ago, I'm sure we will see 1 or 2 come in Loans but wouldn't be surprised at seeing some new permanent faces come in. He will have seen alot of the french market while working at Newcastle and maybe saw 1 or 2 gems that they didn't manage to pick up in the January window before he was sacked. Maybe we could go in for them and see what they're like, Newcastle have a good record with French signings.

I'm sure Mac will want instant success but maybe if we don't get anywhere this season it isn't a failure. If you look at the quality in this league this season then it was always going to be a struggle to get anywhere near the auto's. Play offs were definitely our best hope this year but even that it looking slim now. 

I think we should just enjoy the season and see where we end up. If we have another play off run then so be it. But i'm not expecting anything of this season, I just want to see passion, effort & good football from this very talented squad.

Not really, when Mac arrived here in 2013 we had only 2 pts more that we currently have now and we finished 3rd that's season so anything is possible. It would be great to play attacking footie again and shoot up that table, lets see where we end up.......anything is possible

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

Not really, when Mac arrived here in 2013 we had only 2 pts more that we currently have now and we finished 3rd that's season so anything is possible. It would be great to play attacking footie again and shoot up that table, lets see where we end up.......anything is possible

I agree... However in that season we had players who could play the 4-3-3. This year, other than Jamie Hanson (and please don't say Baird). Who can play the CDM role?

i would like to see some more come through the academy than loans.we have a bloated squad now and this was one of the reasons the dressing room fell apart IMO. whats the point having loan after loan then they return to their parent club and leave us in limbo. the academy needs using to its best otherwise the millions spent are wasted, also theres no transfer fee.

we need stability and a set of players that try there best win lose or draw,thats all we ask for .then and only then will we get where we want to and deserve to go up

15 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

1st Time round from what I can remember Mac didn't exactly use the accademy. Why would u to be fair when u can pull in the likes of bamford, Ibe, lingard, wisdom etc etc, but then this doesn't fit into the Derby way and Mels one per season rule that he's quite clearly stated on numerous occasions.

Didn't he oversee bringing in loads of youfs at that point? But guys who have now been released as considered not good enough?

Would be interesting to see what he thought of releasing Calero...

Also I think he went into the loan market last time mainly due to no money... 

10 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

I completly agree with everything in that, bar one thing.

newcastle have a good record with French players?

they have a good record in attracting them yes, but in terms of getting them to perform well week in week and not just for the big games or when it suits and take the club forward I would disagree, hence where they are now.

Other than that mate, hit the nail on the head 

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 04:13, NottsRam77 said:

Ok while I'm still getting my head round what's happened today one thing that did Jump to mind was how does this fit into Mels Derby way.

obviously we're assuming our style of play will improve, win, lose or draw I would never argue that mclaren in his last tenure didn't always try and play good football, even more so when compared to the dross we've had this season under Pearson 

so that's criteria number one ticked.

my question is, how does this impact on the accademy and the 'pathway' from accademy to the first team.

do we think we'll hit the loan market for more instant quality in January to try and propel us up the table for an attempt at some instant success or will Mel, Steve and us as fans be happy to bide our time and allow our own some game time to allow them to grow and be our next Hughes, Hendrick et al.

Just a thought 

I do wish people would stop saying 'the Derby way'. We're a complete ******* shambles. 

23 minutes ago, Muskination said:

I do wish people would stop saying 'the Derby way'. We're a complete ******* shambles. 

If the idea remains a shambles it shall not be.

Every poor decision just makes it harder to get back on track. From what Mel has said it can be assumed that Clement and Hedgehog Head lied in their interviews. Not Mel's fault.

If anything, Mel's only complete fault is not sacking Pearson after Burton.

Archived