Beer Thread

Cisse

I've only drank it twice, both times in the last year so I can't really compare against any former versions.

It probably wasn't as bad as I made it sound, the aftertaste seems to be more flavourful than when I was drinking it.

My opinion was in comparison to, say, the Franziskaner or a Schneide Weisse.

It was OK just not strong in any particular area.

I've only drank it twice, both times in the last year so I can't really compare against any former versions.

It probably wasn't as bad as I made it sound, the aftertaste seems to be more flavourful than when I was drinking it.

Try it on draught.

It's a completely different style of wit / weissbier, so there cannot be a comparison really.

Belgian wits are heavily flavoured with coriander and (sometimes) orange, whereas that's an absolute no-no for German wheat beers (think Reinheitsgebot).

Yesterday I bought from Waitrose of all places, a bottle of Dead Pony Club. Only 3.8 but tastes stronger. Highly recommended

That stuff is interesting, to say the least. Huge pineapple/grapefruit citrus hop hit and a long aftertaste. Personally I prefer the Bengali Tiger sold at Wetherspoons - well, my pocket does anyway, and it's 6%.

Can a hop bomb be a session beer which this BrewDog offering purports to be at 3.8%? I'm not so sure. After a couple, my cheeks are touching each other on the inside of my mouth.

It's a completely different style of wit / weissbier, so there cannot be a comparison really.

Belgian wits are heavily flavoured with coriander and (sometimes) orange, whereas that's an absolute no-no for German wheat beers (think Reinheitsgebot).

Why do I feel like I've been told off? ;)

I wasn't comparing the actual flavours against each other, but level/amount of flavour.

I've not had a very big sample range of Belgian wits. Perhaps the Hoegaarden was just too subtle for me, but it didn't seem to have any standout qualities.

Try it on draught.

I've never really had a preference for draught over bottle, I see very 'traditional' beer drinkers dismissing bottles from time to time and I don't understand it. Any beers that I've had from both have always tasted better bottled to me.

I wasn't comparing the actual flavours against each other, but level/amount of flavour.

I've not had a very big sample range of Belgian wits. Perhaps the Hoegaarden was just too subtle for me, but it didn't seem to have any standout qualities.

I've never really had a preference for draught over bottle, I see very 'traditional' beer drinkers dismissing bottles from time to time and I don't understand it. Any beers that I've had from both have always tasted better bottled to me.

Why do I feel like I've been told off?  ;)

Wasn't suggesting all draught is better than bittles, just thought it may taste better in this instance, Tetchy sod

No, you weren't being told off.

As far as witbiers go, Hoegaarden is far from exceptional. It's very bog-standard. Nice and refreshing, but that's about it. There's not a lot of variation - all coriander and orange peel. Nice to drink with cheese, but one is plenty. As a style, they are never going to be overpowering, because at least 50% of the grist is wheat - and unmalted at that, so no roast toasty flavours.

There is one worth seeking out (based on the one bottle that Kurt of Belgiuminabox sent me as a prezzy) - St Bernardus Blanche, which undergoes an in-bottle secondary fermentation. And, of course, St Bernardus is a world class Abbey brewery (they used to brew for St Sixtus-Westvleteren) so they have 'standards'.

Why do I feel like I've been told off?  ;)

Wasn't suggesting all draught is better than bittles, just thought it may taste better in this instance, Tetchy sod

Call that a telling-off, Duvel-man?

:p