Beer Thread

Cisse

thought the specific gravity told you the alcohol content but could be talking total shi te :unsure:

In order to determine the alcohol content you need both the Original Gravity and the Specific Gravity.

(brewer here)

A beer starts out with an Original Gravity, which is basically the density of a sugar solution. When a beer ferments, much of the sugar turns to alcohol and carbon dioxide is released. Because we know the density of absolute alcohol, the percentage of alcohol can be determined as follows:

% Alcohol = ((1.05 x (OG – SG)) / SG) / 0.79

Assuming

OG = 1.045

SG = 1.008

The equation would look like this:

.0487 = ((1.05 x (1.045 – 1.008))/1.008) / 0.79

So, this beer would be about 4.9% alcohol.

Are we any the wiser if you can stick one in a pint to see?

None whatsoever - unless someone tells you what the Original Gravity was.

A 'sipping' beer might start life at 1040 before fermentation - if you know that for sure, then sticking a hydrometer into the pint would give you the Specific Gravity and you could work it out. However, a strong beer (say a Belgian tripel) might have started out with an OG of 1080. It's quite possible that both finish up with a Specific Gravity of 1008 - but without the starting point, that single hydrometer reading is useless.

A dry white wine might have an SG of 1000, and be 15% alcohol. Water has an SG of 1000 (same reading) - and has no alcohol.

In order to determine the alcohol content you need both the Original Gravity and the Specific Gravity.

(brewer here)

A beer starts out with an Original Gravity, which is basically the density of a sugar solution. When a beer ferments, much of the sugar turns to alcohol and carbon dioxide is released. Because we know the density of absolute alcohol, the percentage of alcohol can be determined as follows:

% Alcohol = ((1.05 x (OG – SG)) / SG) / 0.79

Assuming

OG = 1.045

SG = 1.008

The equation would look like this:

.0487 = ((1.05 x (1.045 – 1.008))/1.008) / 0.79

So, this beer would be about 4.9% alcohol.

Tis all wizardry to me :unsure:

Tis all wizardry to me :unsure:

I use a brewing calculator.

Enter Original Gravity and Finishing/Final/Specific Gravity - job done.

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php

Only I don't actually use a hydrometer any more - I use an optical refractometer and so I'm measuring Degrees Brix, which is sugar content. It's more complicated (the presence of alcohol affects the readings so has to be compensated for), but there is no danger of contamination when taking test samples (you only need 3 drops of wort as opposed to about 150 mls, so I use a sterilised eye-dropper)

Krombacher Pils non alcoholic version. :o It's good though.

It's the best non-alcoholic beer I've ever tasted - ideal for driving if you are self-conscious about drinking lemonade etc.

Always thought non-alcoholic beer was like going down on your sister, it might taste the same but it's still wrong;-).

Anyway, was wondering if you fine people could pass on ur wisdom.

I like dark lagers like leffe brune, budvar dark, kozel etc, as well as beers like anchor steam, jaipur, blue monkey, and was hoping u could recommend new beers for me to try you'd think I would like. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Always thought non-alcoholic beer was like going down on your sister, it might taste the same but it's still wrong;-).

Anyway, was wondering if you fine people could pass on ur wisdom.

I like dark lagers like leffe brune, budvar dark, kozel etc, as well as beers like anchor steam, jaipur, blue monkey, and was hoping u could recommend new beers for me to try you'd think I would like. Any suggestions much appreciated!

brace yersen for some Belgium ****** youth.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which I saw in Tesco is great. A hoppy IPA with Cascade hops giving it a lot of flavour. Also if you can find Chimay Blue 2012 which is a great trappist beer.

I've seen that Tesco sell Sierra Nevada, but no Tesco I've been in seems to. Odd.

I'm a bit confused with RevelDevil referring to Lefe Brune as 'Dark lager' though, not a term I'm familiar with.

RD - if you can find any Rochefort Trappist 6, 8 or 10 then pick some up - especially the 10.

Eddie will tell tons of others

My bad didn't mean to bracket the leffe with the dark pilsners, such as budvar dark. Never tasted dark pilsners until I went to prague, quite hard to find in the UK, just like the caramelish taste, but don't really like flat beers. Leffe brune is the easiest equivalent to find round here.