Have we Tim Henmans and not Andy Murrays?

Half fan

Wrong thread I know but..this is brought on by being at Burton at the weekend and their fans cheering when Tom Flannagan was substituted, I was shocked to read about Johnson getting the same treatment the week before from Derby fans and consoled myself with the fact that probably wouldn't happen at the PIielli, how wrong I was, it's not just Derby fans, or self entitled Newcastle fans it's endemic across all clubs.

I can't remember the last time Andy Murray was booed off the court by his own fans. Even if he's a set down and struggling, no numpties spewing bile, veins popping out of their heads calling him a ****. Not in any other sport does it happen.

Funny that.

Fans of every other sport in the world realising that a rousing cheer when their lad/lass/team is struggling tends to produce a better response than booing them.

Good god but now much I dislike the majority football fans.

On thread, what a brilliant final with both players giving everything they had. Well done Andy Murray.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Wrong thread I know but..this is brought on by being at Burton at the weekend and their fans cheering when Tom Flannagan was substituted, I was shocked to read about Johnson getting the same treatment the week before from Derby fans and consoled myself with the fact that probably wouldn't happen at the PIielli, how wrong I was, it's not just Derby fans, or self entitled Newcastle fans it's endemic across all clubs.

I can't remember the last time Andy Murray was booed off the court by his own fans. Even if he's a set down and struggling, no numpties spewing bile, veins popping out of their heads calling him a ****. Not in any other sport does it happen.

Funny that.

Fans of every other sport in the world realising that a rousing cheer when their lad/lass/team is struggling tends to produce a better response than booing them.

On thread, what a brilliant final with both players giving everything they had. Well done Andy Murray.

Wrestling, always booing during that.

As for Burton, probably Derby fans who didn't travel!:)

10 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Funny that.

No, it's not the majority of football fans, it's a select few who are more vocal and therefore can be heard.  Yes it happens at other clubs, has done for years, over in Spain they get the white hanky out, Turkey turned on Turam and even lampard recently got a hammering at USA.

Tennis is completely different, most people buy tickets to go and watch the game rather than an individual, when buying for Wimbledon for example you get entered into a ballot, so whilst you may be cheering him on, it's not the same fans following one football team....well that applies to most of us that is.

Does booing help, I doubt it very much, however the affect of really has on a performance is being overly exaggerated at the moment, I have even seen one post that said we would have won on Saturday without it :blink: Let's not forget football is probably the most vocal support for the supporters, with the biggest attendances, people emotions do run high and when a pass goes astray etc...people will get frustrated, take Martin for example - you often see him vent his anger when a pass is not aimed his way.  

6 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree cheron85. I'm not averse to players wearing different coloured boots, making sure their hair isn't out of place and having intricate artistic body art despite what I just said earlier, so long as they do the business on the pitch. Not one week or one in 5 games but pretty much every week. Beckham did this so you have to admire his dedication and motivation. The problem is, that i'm pointing out is that most footballers nowadays have all the blingy stuff so to speak but none of the application and inherent will to become the best they can. That takes effort, a sense of duty to employers and supporters and desire.

These modern times are filled with the Lallana types. Happy to be smearing face cream all over his mush on telly but not able to become any more than another in a long line of no doubt talented but ultimatley mediocre and inconsistent footballers.

Beckham had the talent and the face cream but he also worked hard, found a winning mentality and came up with the goods and you couldn't begrudge him the money.

Lallana types ? Mediocre ? That lad can play ! He's all that and he's getting better. I see your point but you used the wrong player as an example. Try Ince instead. 

Excellent thread. I think sometimes sports people are seen as machines, people who have an ability and are expected to perform at that level every time. The mind is a powerful thing, conquering your own mental state and being so focused and single minded is difficult. Part of being a great player is being able to keep going, find that extra effort when things are not going your way. How many times has a player in this squad found that extra when the team has been up against it?

I do wonder if for all the talent some of these players have, if their isn't a mental strength missing, someone willing to take control in the bad times. Are they happy playing at this level and no desire to push on?  Is this something they can learn? Is it something a new players could bring? Do we need to bring the changes?

Going back to the tennis. What always amazes me is when the likes of Federer are facing a break point at a crucial stage and on their second serve they go for the high risk big serve. They have serious guts, a serious will to win. Of course as an individual it is easier to control your own destiny than a team, but someone has to show that example.

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

Funny that.

Totally agree, Ronnie.

Unfortunately, football attracts the lowest common denominator in many ways.

Some folks here opine that Rams players are too cossetted, the superb facilities *should* elicit optimum performances and consistently good results - if players are capable of transferring that advantage to the pitch on match days. I'm of that persuasion as well.

Derby don't do that. We are brittle, predictable... and surprisingly easy for the opposition to manage in the cut-&-thrust of games.

Leadership (on the pitch) and cohesion is poor, inadequate.

Morale fragments - and players forget or forsake their roles too readily, and games go away from us. There's little resilience and ruthlessness in our current crop of players. 

We've achieved too little, for too long.

In our case, sadly, I've concluded that form is temporary, and class is absent.

Archived