The joys of motoring

eddie

On Friday afternoon we had a cloudburst at Donington while I was at the Co-Op, which caused floods around a foot deep on the aptly named Trent Lane.. As per the instructions, I drove carefully through the water and 'tested' my brakes - no response so I 'pumped' them 3 or 4 times and they came back. I thought nothing more of it.

Then I left the car parked outside my home over the weekend. I came to start it this morning and the brakes were jammed on. I can't even drive the car to the garage so they are going to have to put it on the back of a lorry.

Looks like I'm working from home this week.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, eddie said:

On Friday afternoon we had a cloudburst at Donington while I was at the Co-Op, which caused floods around a foot deep on the aptly named Trent Lane.. As per the instructions, I drove carefully through the water and 'tested' my brakes - no response so I 'pumped' them 3 or 4 times and they came back. I thought nothing more of it.

Then I left the car parked outside my home over the weekend. I came to start it this morning and the brakes were jammed on. I can't even drive the car to the garage so they are going to have to put it on the back of a lorry.

Looks like I'm working from home this week.

At least your tea breaks may be a little more Belgian this week.

17 minutes ago, sage said:

At least your tea breaks may be a little more Belgian this week.

I'm not keen on chocolate

Just happens to be in a week where there are several 2pm kick offs :whistle:

Think yourself lucky though, some person has decided to sit on a sign on the M1, forcing it to close and create traffic chaos, not good if you need to get to east mids airport !

I had this problem with the brakes holding after I went through a ford many years ago, my mechanic suggested leaving the handbrake off and seeing if that worked, it worked partially because one side released and then he came around with a lump hammer and wacked the rear drums and that released the other side :D

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Just happens to be in a week where there are several 2pm kick offs :whistle:

Think yourself lucky though, some person has decided to sit on a sign on the M1, forcing it to close and create traffic chaos, not good if you need to get to east mids airport !

I work not far from Ashby - the perfect storm of that, the drowned Download traffic and generic idiocy meant it took an hour for me to get from Derby to work.

I was in my new car though, testing out the sound system, so swings and roundabouts, really.

It's a strange problem. My wife has a Hyundai with disc brakes all round. She usually parks it on the drive with the hand brake on.

If she's driven on wet roads, sometimes, but not always, the brakes stick on. By driving off slowly, they suddenly release with a bang. Can't do them much good.

If she puts it in the garage (level ground), I get her to leave it in gear with the hand break off. Sometimes (but less frequently) the brakes stick on. We took it to the dealer who stripped the brakes down and re-lubricated all the moving parts, but it still happens.

I'm really surprised at this given they're discs all round, but then, I'm no mechanic.

I got the brakes freed off but seeing as I'm off abroad on holiday in a couple of weeks, I've asked the garage to collect the car (which they have), give it a full service and the give the brakes a serious going-over. I no longer trust them so if they are completely replaced, so be it.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I work not far from Ashby - the perfect storm of that, the drowned Download traffic and generic idiocy meant it took an hour for me to get from Derby to work.

I was in my new car though, testing out the sound system, so swings and roundabouts, really.

You've done well then.  My Mrs works on Derby Road in Ashby, set off for work at about 9:15 and still hasn't got there...

I'm not a big fan of Americans but you know that if this M1 chap was causing this kind of traffic chaos on a highway over there the police would've shot him with a few beanbags and man-handled him down from the gantry hours ago.  Whereas our police must set up an appropriate cordon, impose speed limits on the 30 mile detour they've arranged and check with the solicitors they won't be violating his civil rights if they say hello or offer him a sausage sandwich...

Archived