football stories that have made me smile

Tamworthram

Bored at work again so, if in doubt, hit the internet (caution required).

I came across a couple of football items that made me smile.

1) Apparently the new chinese owner of Villa became a Villa fan many years ago. Yeah right, because Villa are a big thing in China. 

2) On a Sheffield Wednesday forum I noticed a few, after watching our game at Hull on TV, commenting on Derby fans singing all their songs. One even claimed it was like listening to a Wednesday tribute band. In fairness another contributor reminded them that all supporters generally sing the same songs. If only we'd known all our songs originated in Sheffield. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

1) Apparently the new chinese owner of Villa became a Villa fan many years ago. Yeah right, because Villa are a big thing in China. 

2) On a Sheffield Wednesday forum I noticed a few, after watching our game at Hull on TV, commenting on Derby fans singing all their songs. One even claimed it was like listening to a Wednesday tribute band. In fairness another contributor reminded them that all supporters generally sing the same songs. If only we'd known all our songs originated in Sheffield. 

That second discussion, you can see that same discussion on almost any board. Only song that was sung on Tuesday that we know the origin of was our version of Will Grigg's on fire. 

In defense of the Sheffield Wednsday thing. I noticed it several seasons ago under Clough or maybe even earlier that when the crowds were dwindling and there was a lack of atmosphere in most rams games, that against Wednesday it was always good. I also noticd this was because almost every song either of us started that would get the oppositions fans signging because they had their own version of the same song. This is partly coincidence as much as anything.

I find it quite amusing from their point of view and our own that we can both claim we copied each other. So many fans think a song is theirs when ironically its not. I have been signging "hark no hear" pretty much since I started watching the rams 30 years ago. Used to think all rival teams sang it because boxing day used to be the day everyone played their local rivals.

It was only recently i heard and read so much about the sheffield derby boxing day masacre as it is known, and also realised derby have never played forest on a boxing day in their history  - haha

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

In defense of the Sheffield Wednsday thing. I noticed it several seasons ago under Clough or maybe even earlier that when the crowds were dwindling and there was a lack of atmosphere in most rams games, that against Wednesday it was always good. I also noticd this was because almost every song either of us started that would get the oppositions fans signging because they had their own version of the same song. This is partly coincidence as much as anything.

I find it quite amusing from their point of view and our own that we can both claim we copied each other. So many fans think a song is theirs when ironically its not. I have been signging "hark no hear" pretty much since I started watching the rams 30 years ago. Used to think all rival teams sang it because boxing day used to be the day everyone played their local rivals.

It was only recently i heard and read so much about the sheffield derby boxing day masacre as it is known, and also realised derby have never played forest on a boxing day in their history  - haha

26 December 1978 1-1 draw at the City Ground. 

A full 12 months prior to the "Boxing Day massacre" that the Wendies bleat on about.

They need to get over themselves to be honest. I think they made "if you don't f**king bounce popular", but even that isn't originally theirs, and we do it better.

Can't think of any others that we've supposedly pinched from them.

Crystal Palace, Man Utd and Wigan are our main "inspirations" it seems.

Regarding the Wednesday songs, to be fair I remember we played them in an end of season game a few years ago, maybe 7 or 8 years ago now...I seem to remember we lost 2 or 3 nil...until this point I have never heard the 'bouncy bouncy' song but they turned up and (in fairness) I think introduced us to it.

No harm in taking inspiration from a decent set of away fans.

*edit, we lost 2-0 at home and it was the 2005-06 season...wow that 10 years has gone fast 

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Tell them they were all Blades songs first.

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

That second discussion, you can see that same discussion on almost any board. Only song that was sung on Tuesday that we know the origin of was our version of Will Grigg's on fire. 

And even then, Wigan weren't the first to sing that. Stevenage sang it about Freeman a few years back, Bristol City continued it when he joined them. Newcastle sang it earlier this season about Mitrovic and finally Wigan sang it about Grigg.

13 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

And even then, Wigan weren't the first to sing that. Stevenage sang it about Freeman a few years back, Bristol City continued it when he joined them. Newcastle sang it earlier this season about Mitrovic and finally Wigan sang it about Grigg.

Fair enough haha

Archived