Heysel

sage

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

So a bit of hooliganism is acceptable then? As long as you stop short of killing someone? Derby hooligans were fine but Liverpool ones should be strung up?

I think I understand. 

I don't think I have suggested that in anyway, everybody is capable of making their own decisions, the defence that I only did it because someone else did doesn't stick

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, sage said:

That's the whole point. So many have committed the same crime.

As is the same in many situations, that doesn't mean because I commit a crime I am responsible for the one you choose to commit

48 minutes ago, sage said:

Hmmm

So you and your mates take it in turns to throw a brick off a motorway bridge on Sunday mornings. One person each Sunday.

A few months down the line you throw one and it goes threw a car window and kills someone.

Are you the only guilty one? 

Yeah but I break the speed limit in a 30 zone and get away with it everyday.  Some else breaks the limit and kills someone. It doesn't make me guilty. 

Just now, Gritters said:

Yeah but I break the speed limit in a 30 zone and get away with it everyday.  Some else breaks the limit and kills someone. It doesn't make me guilty. 

You are guilty. You just haven't been caught.

Sith Happens
33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

So a bit of hooliganism is acceptable then? As long as you stop short of killing someone? Derby hooligans were fine but Liverpool ones should be strung up?

I think I understand. 

Just to add when I say I don't condone any of it should not interpreted as I do condone some of it

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Weren't all hooligans committing the same crimes?

Not really as 39 people did not die each time.

Sith Happens
4 minutes ago, sage said:

Exactly.

The Liverpool fans were guilty of fighting. 

Not murder. 

Occasionally one begets the other. 

They were guilty of attacking with intent to harm which resulted in 39 deaths, manslaughter not murder.

Just now, Paul71 said:

They were guilty of attacking with intent to harm which resulted in 39 deaths, manslaughter not murder.

They simply aren't guilty of manslaughter. Again I'm not condoning their behaviour. However they did not fight with anyone who died. They could have been prosecuted for assault or violent disorder.

However a civil prosecution for damages along the lines of unlawful killing may have been successful.   

6 minutes ago, Gritters said:

No but their actions lead to 39 deaths. Throwing a brick off a bridge isn't illegal but the consequences of doing so can be.

It is.

Getting back to the original point, this could have happened at games with dozens of English teams, including Derby.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

It is.

Getting back to the original point, this could have happened at games with dozens of English teams, including Derby.

I must agree with Sage in this with the knowledge I have about the situation at that time.

8 hours ago, sage said:

They simply aren't guilty of manslaughter. Again I'm not condoning their behaviour. However they did not fight with anyone who died. They could have been prosecuted for assault or violent disorder.

However a civil prosecution for damages along the lines of unlawful killing may have been successful.   

they were charged with manslaughter because its an extraditable offence, which meant they were tried in Belgium along with the Police and Belgian officials for their neglect in managing the crowd, ensuring safety and choosing a suitable stadium.

Sith Happens

I am glad this has been separated from the hillsborough thread, it just goes to show how a topic can easily deviate.

Archived