Square pegs in round holes

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post for a long time after a return from the south Atlantic for 2 years, I've been going a fair bit this year as work allows. I'm bemused that with everything that appears to be going wrong this season Christie would not be up there for me as a massive issue  we have a good goalkeeper in Carson and a solid defence albeit not that creative , for me the problems lie further up the field in an unbalanced midfield and striker devoid of service and lacking confidence .

i think Christie also sometimes struggles as he gets no help from the gloved wonder boy who is ten times the player in his own mind than his actual ability 

anyone else want to give christie a chance on the wing ahead of ince? :lol::lol:

in all honesty christie's dribbling has been immense and right now he'd probably offer alot more than incey going forward wthout having to worry about getting back too much...........think tottenhams chadli :D

Christie has been solid and our best threat going forward (in a year of little attacking intent I know)

How Russell played off Martin on Saturday instead of Blackman I will never know? Failing that Ince should be in the Ron Willems role, for my money. (Have that reference!)

Biggest worry on Saturday, how did Johnspn stay on the pitch? Worst player on the park and he didn't get dragged off at the earliest opportunity!

also - Camara was sat in the box watching with Thorne and Hughes, bet he is loving his transfer to English football!!! Have I missed an injury or has the club spent over £1m on someone that the brains trust now don't want? 

On 14 February 2016 at 23:29, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Christie is not good. No bottle, control hit and miss, positional sense sketchy at best, confidence gets shot to pieces. You can see him visibly shrink during the course of a game if he is playing poor. One trick pony going forwards. £1M bid and i would drive him there.

You need to go spacsavers!!!!

Just so I'm clear it was Clements fault and now that Clement has gone it's the players fault?

i can't help but feel a lot of the players are being judged unfairly based on a style implemented by Clement. 

I'm not trying to bash Clement here, he had a style and mentality that was possession based and keeping the ball was priority. It was boring a lot of the time but for a while we weren't moaning as it had us top. 

But that slow possession based football makes it hard for your attacking players to shine. By the time the ball has got to them  there no space, the oppo are back and it's hard to make any chances. Martin, Ince, Russell etc have served us well prior to this style and would do again. 

Also Clement was sacked as his was wasn't the "Derby Way" but since when has 4-4-2 and direct balls been the Derby Way? All that was required, I'm my opinion, was tweeking the style to get them to play the ball quicker and not worry so much if that forward pass doesn't come off as long as you close the guy down to get it back. Not to lump it, to keep it on the ground and play it through midfield but quicker  

How players who were lorded around for being great are now useless and surplus amazes me. These players and this squad is a really good championship squad, one of the best in the league but if they're asked to play a certain way then there's not a lot they can do. I honestly believe the right man in charge of these guys and we'd be singing the players praises. 

13 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

Just so I'm clear it was Clements fault and now that Clement has gone it's the players fault?

i can't help but feel a lot of the players are being judged unfairly based on a style implemented by Clement. 

I'm not trying to bash Clement here, he had a style and mentality that was possession based and keeping the ball was priority. It was boring a lot of the time but for a while we weren't moaning as it had us top. 

But that slow possession based football makes it hard for your attacking players to shine. By the time the ball has got to them  there no space, the oppo are back and it's hard to make any chances. Martin, Ince, Russell etc have served us well prior to this style and would do again. 

Also Clement was sacked as his was wasn't the "Derby Way" but since when has 4-4-2 and direct balls been the Derby Way? All that was required, I'm my opinion, was tweeking the style to get them to play the ball quicker and not worry so much if that forward pass doesn't come off as long as you close the guy down to get it back. Not to lump it, to keep it on the ground and play it through midfield but quicker  

How players who were lorded around for being great are now useless and surplus amazes me. These players and this squad is a really good championship squad, one of the best in the league but if they're asked to play a certain way then there's not a lot they can do. I honestly believe the right man in charge of these guys and we'd be singing the players praises. 

Well said.

19 minutes ago, WilkoRam said:

I agree with this. However I have always thought Christie was rubbish, so my opinion hasn't changed though I will say in his defence that he is more effective as an attacking player when we play play at a higher tempo.  

Bit of a tricky one to judge christy as all things are relative . Ie when we were firing on all cylinders, fast passing , great movement off the ball and keeping posetion well without the clement inspired fear of ever losing the ball Christie was often the weak link and as a youngster in a very good promotion chasing team it killed his confidence and he had to be dropped ,, now in this side he looks a lot better than what's around him ,,, in truth the answer is somewhere in the middle , he is a young players with potential and some good qualities that a good coach and playing in a confident side could come on leaps and bounds , we lack more than anything movement off the ball , players running away from the ball rather than coming towards and showing for the ball,, we do have a good enough squad to challenge top two in this division, we only lack the coach / manger to organise them , inspire them , ballock them and give them direction,,, as an aside it makes no difference whether you call him coach or manager , if he gets it right and earns an owners trust in the process he will have reign to manage

Archived