Is this the Derby Way .

Curtains

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

No no, we've been boring all season. We've been DIRE in the last 7 games. The players aren't boring, we have a vast amount of individual talent that I'm sure can be brought to life by the right coach. The tactics were boring. 

Ok fair enough but what needs to change the player personnel !

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flashes of what weve been missing recently in all of those games' highlights. Movement, bodies getting in the box (so not just martin within 30 yards of the opponents goal), pass and move, proper pressing high up the pitch.

But its the 88-odd minutes that we don't see on these clips that demonstrates how different we now are. Perhaps if we added together all of the clips from this season we might get to a games worth of the "Derby Way".

3 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Brighton 4-1, Fulham 5-2, Forest 5-0. Just watched them all and I'd forgotten how exciting we could be to watch at times. I have to say I have missed that swashbuckling gung-ho style, despite us winning nothing with it. Won the fans' hearts and that's surely what it's all about at the end of the day. 

Give this a go 

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

My point is what are you looking for in the 'Derby Way'

What is it. 

Attacking football done by moving the ball on with 1 or 2 touch football and looking for the forward pass rather than sideways and backwards. Players moving into space ahead of the player with the ball to give him options and for the midfielders to be moving into attacking positions to either give Martin somebody to pass to or to make space for Martin by dragging defenders towards them.

Just now, ossieram said:

Attacking football done by moving the ball on with 1 or 2 touch football and looking for the forward pass rather than sideways and backwards. Players moving into space ahead of the player with the ball to give him options and for the midfielders to be moving into attacking positions to either give Martin somebody to pass to or to make space for Martin by dragging defenders towards them.

Do you think Clement was not allowing players to express themselves and do this then .

You make good points. 

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

Won't be easy don't get that idea they will sit with 2 banks of 4 and we will have to break them down .

Of course it won't, but passing between our defenders for 2 mins at a time gives them ample time to employ that tactic.  PC's comments after the Fulham game about not playing a 50-50 pass speaks volumes as to why we've been so conservative.  Get it into Martin's feet quickly, get runners off him quickly and create chances.  We all knew how we should play but PC was too stubborn to alter things.  Possession doesn't win you games, goals do...

1 minute ago, curtains said:

Do you think Clement was not allowing players to express themselves and do this then .

You make good points. 

Clement said himself after the Preston game that our priority was to keep the ball and to deny them possession even if that meant playing the ball sideways and backwards. Not one mention of getting players up the pitch to support Martin or for us to move it quicker and drag them out of position. He even said after the Man utd game that he didn't know what Thorne was doing that far up the pitch when he scored. That is when I had serious doubts about Clements ideas and tactics.

4 minutes ago, curtains said:

You make good points. 

Again, the Fulham post match interview gives you all you need to know about his approach.  Let's say Hendrick picked it up off Baird on the half way line and saw Ince make a run between the full back and the closest centre back, it's a 30yrd ball but there's a chance the CB will read it, intercept it and they have possession half way inside their half.  If your Hendrick and you've been told to keep the ball at all costs, you give it to Butterfield who's 10 yards to your left...  Negative state of mind will lead to negative play

5 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Clement said himself after the Preston game that our priority was to keep the ball and to deny them possession even if that meant playing the ball sideways and backwards. Not one mention of getting players up the pitch to support Martin or for us to move it quicker and drag them out of position. He even said after the Man utd game that he didn't know what Thorne was doing that far up the pitch when he scored. That is when I had serious doubts about Clements ideas and tactics.

That's what worried me. The amount of times we could break at pace and get behind the lines was untrue. We would only have one player in the box all game no one back post etc.

The main problem for me was that we would be 3 vs 2 or on the break. Then we would hold it up which allowed the other team to get back in position again which was the key to most of our games lately. The amount of times I would be screaming at the fact we didn't run with it was depressing even Carson seemed to not distribute quickly any more.

10 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I think he was put on the spot by Owen Bradley. 

I think he was trying to say I don't want my players passing forward needlessly if the option isn't on and try to play constructively using build up playfrom the back to front  which the players should be able to do more quickly and effectively IMO  and then getting in to support Martin etc etc 

I think he was joking about Thorne saying what's a holding midfielder doing up there when the others aren't  

Not saying Clement is blameless though  

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I think he was put on the spot by Owen Bradley. 

I think he was trying to say I don't want my players passing forward needlessly if the option isn't on and try to play constructively using build up playfrom the back to front  

I think he was joking about Thorne saying what's a holding midfielder doing up there when the others aren't  

Not saying Clement is blameless though  

That was the main problem though. Because he was so concerned about being defensively solid and keeping possession, the players were not allowed to get forward and provide the option for the forward pass.

I think that this season has been especially different for us. We lost our 2 best

mids at unlocking defences,Hughes and Bryson. Also the teams are a lot tougher

this season,better defensively.They started to suss us out last season,we were

nowhere as good last season as the first year Mac took over.I think you will find

most of those goals and perfomances came from our play-off year,against Forest

and Brighton especially.

11 minutes ago, ossieram said:

That was the main problem though. Because he was so concerned about being defensively solid and keeping possession, the players were not allowed to get forward and provide the option for the forward pass.

I think he wanted the players to adapt and do it more quickly.

I often saw him waving his arms and asking the players to speed up. 

Got to go now m8 the other half wants to go out. 

The biggest gimmick I've ever seen at Derby....

Give this "Derby way" ****** the wide berth... It's just words spouted just like a easily spun politician would say to announce a policy.

Cant think anyone debated this much unless at start when Clement first came in.

I go to a football game hoping we at least one more goal than the other team. Admittedly I like to see decent football.

Dont buy into this Derby Way spin one bit. Seems to me a poor excuse to get rid of a manager and try and look entirely blameless. 

Just wish football was more simple and honest instead of shoddy rhetoric and spin

Archived