Gardeners, how much?

Day

I'm in a new build house, the garden is crap, we've tried to seed it but the grass won't take, it's patchy all over. Tried all that super food liquid crap, nothing. The section of grass which is roughly 10ft x 8ft, I want gone and either slabbed or a membrane down with stones, not decided yet, feeling the slabbed route more as the stones get everywhere.

Roughly how much should I be looking at paying with labour and materials?

Never paid for one before so I'm clueless and no, don't even suggest it, do I really look like the kinda guy that's into gardening? I just want a rough idea that's all before I go and get quotes. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would go down to B&Q and buy some turf and relay it, not exactly splitting the Atom is it :ph34r:

i am privately renting an house and i have just about rebuilt the frigging thing, i replaced all the bathroom because circa 1960 just isn't me lol, i have rebuilt the plumbing in the kitchen because of it leaking from every orifice, and early next year i go back home to Malta. :angry:

Put new seeds down in October, best time it said on the bottle, you will see grass in 6 weeks blah blah, nothing.

I want to get rid anyhow, with the dog going out and in he's getting muddy paw prints on the carpet, only got one way of getting to the garden, that's french doors in the living room

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Put new seeds down in October, best time it said on the bottle, you will see grass in 6 weeks blah blah, nothing.

I want to get rid anyhow, with the dog going out and in he's getting muddy paw prints on the carpet, only got one way of getting to the garden, that's french doors in the living room

If you plant in October, you won't necessarily see grass yet. 6 weeks is optimistic. I reseeded my garden and it took almost 3 months for it to grow in these northern climes.

47 minutes ago, Daveo said:

I'm in a new build house, the garden is crap, we've tried to seed it but the grass won't take, it's patchy all over. Tried all that super food liquid crap, nothing. The section of grass which is roughly 10ft x 8ft, I want gone and either slabbed or a membrane down with stones, not decided yet, feeling the slabbed route more as the stones get everywhere.

Roughly how much should I be looking at paying with labour and materials?

Never paid for one before so I'm clueless and no, don't even suggest it, do I really look like the kinda guy that's into gardening? I just want a rough idea that's all before I go and get quotes. 

As people have said, you may want to wait a little longer on the grass. 

But an alternative is here though: http://www.artificialgrassforless.co.uk/ 

Couple of friends use it for small sections they just want to keep looking nice. If my maths are right, which they may not be (it is quite late) you're looking at about 7.5m^2

2 minutes ago, Daveo said:

Looked into astro turf but it's a big no no with dogs apparently, ends up stinking when they piss on it

Ah, yeah that's true. 

Have you just seeded what was there? You could always dig down 5-10 cm and buy actual lawn turf to replace it. Maybe fertilise the ground at the level you dig to to help it along.

There are options, but there is of course nothing wrong with slabbing it. My brother worked as a gardener for a few years. 

22 minutes ago, WorksopRam said:

Crikey, will someone just give him a price? 

Well, a 1ft square slab (on its own) is about a fiver. You'd need 80 to do the whole area (Give or take how much your estimate is out by). 60 slabs on Wickes is £213 right now, although a gardener would likely get it cheaper from their own supplier. Plus the work, which is shallow digging, mixing a small amount of concrete, laying the slabs, cleaning the area up. Likely a 2 day job or so (the last bit they'd probably come back later or you may choose to do it, concrete may take a few days to dry fully in the middle of winter) I'd guess maybe £350-£500? 

Pulling that out of the air a little, I don't know how much gardeners charge for their labour, but I doubt it's that high.

Archived