Clement interview in the Guardian

Warren Hobhead

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's had quite a few now with them, hasn't he?

EDIT: That first paragraph is awesome.

For people who are lazy, im only going to link it, not the whole thing:

Five framed shirts hang on the far wall of the manager’s office, just over Paul Clement’s shoulder as he sits at his desk. The tributes scrawled by Cristiano Ronaldo over the No7 and Sergio Ramos on his No4 are in the Real Madrid players’ native tongues even if the sentiments – obrigado, gracias – need no interpretation. David Beckham thanks his compatriot “for everything, even the dodgy balls in the warm-up” on the No32 of Paris Saint-Germain while Zlatan Ibrahimovic, that lovable rogue, cannot resist a playful dig even when paying homage in marker pen. “To a great person and an excellent coach,” he wrote, “even if you are English.”

One of my favourite parts:

« [Clement] is grateful to have learned from the best. “I was able to see first hand how Carlo operated, from how he worked with the players, dealt with the politics, how he spoke to the media, and it was all invaluable,” he says. “He’d surprise me with how he dealt with things. I used to test myself when we went in at half-time, asking what I would do in certain scenarios and then watch how he addressed them, and he’d often do the complete opposite to my instincts.

It could be when the team had been poor, the attitude not great, and I’d be tempted to tear into them. But he’d be at the back of the room gathering his thoughts, then tapping on the tactics board: ‘This is what I want to see second half … ’ Clear. Simple. Boom. Go out and do it. So calm. »

36 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Impressive, he always seems so confident .

I will not see it but he may well go on to great things,   

It depends on your definition of great,but it may be  next year, when we finish top 10 in the prem, for me that would be GREAT :)

2 hours ago, Ovis aries said:

That could well be the Great I will see, the others if any I will not JMO

I hope you stay around long enough to see him win at least promotion with the Rams

Archived