Download Festival 2016

eddie

It's beginning to take shape nicely.

As I'm now a feeble old fart, and the Memsahib is a pensioner, we have decided to only do one day out of the three, and so we have taken the democratic approach that befits a couple who have been married for more than 40 years - she has decided which day we are going.

Friday has Rammstein, Motorhead and Korn, all of whom I love.

Saturday offers Sabbath, Deftones, Megadeth, the wonderful Lawnmower Deth and Skindred

Sunday's bands include Iron Maiden, Disturbed, Billy Talent, Saxon and Ghost.

Sunday it is - and you know what? I agree with her. Ghost are brilliant.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Joe. said:

I last went on 2013 when rammstein, slipknot and iron maiden headlined. All were fantastic rammsteins show is something else! Maiden had the spitfire fly over before aces high, was great

Yes, Bruce has a bit of pull with the fly boys. Illness prevented me going last year, but I agree, 2013 was special. And wet.

10 hours ago, eddie said:

As I'm now a feeble old fart, and the Memsahib is a pensioner, we have decided to only do one day out of the three, and so we have taken the democratic approach that befits a couple who have been married for more than 40 years - she has decided which day we are going.

I've a feeling you would have enjoyed a band I saw last night, Whitesnake at the Notts arena.

Gig was going well with David Coverdale strutting his usual and considering his age Tommy Aldridge played a nifty drum solo but the real treat for someone who has never seen him play, was the Christmas present presented by Coverdale, only a 2 track reappearance by Bernie Marsden at the end, with his guitar that looked like it had been found in the ark! 

I'd go on the Saturday, purely because it could be the last time to see Sabbath. But Megadeth are a favourite of mine and Lawnmower Deth are a blast live.

Oh, and Zag zig, was it The Beast Bernie Marsdon was playing ? Went to see him at The Flowerpot and he just played his new PRS signature model.

35 minutes ago, rezner said:

Oh, and Zag zig, was it The Beast Bernie Marsdon was playing ? Went to see him at The Flowerpot and he just played his new PRS signature model.

Believe so rezner, actually thinking about it, I might have seen him in 81 at Donnington, but I was just a boy and remember Bob all about it bar the plastic bottles of piss that rained down when Slade sang "we"ll bring the house down". My neighbours elder son who took me was savvy and wise to this being 10 years or more my age. He took plastic sheeting to shelter under against inclement weather!

Really ought to check The Flowerpot out, my taste for rock music has waned since I was a kid. Never really been into these multi day gigs, much preferred the feeling you were seeing a one off special that the Monsters of Rock gave. Being dropped off in Melbourne, walking to the gig and then back steam covered in sweat if nothing else! Occasionally I have a lust for a rock gig, for old times sake.

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

I've a feeling you would have enjoyed a band I saw last night, Whitesnake at the Notts arena.

Gig was going well with David Coverdale strutting his usual and considering his age Tommy Aldridge played a nifty drum solo but the real treat for someone who has never seen him play, was the Christmas present presented by Coverdale, only a 2 track reappearance by Bernie Marsden at the end, with his guitar that looked like it had been found in the ark! 

Last time I saw Whitesnake was at the Monsters of Rock in the 1980s. Glad you enjoyed it - and you are right, I would have loved it.

51 minutes ago, rezner said:

Yes he was at Donington 81, as was I :D 

And Slade were great. :cool::D

Sometimes a surprise package takes the place by storm, e.g. pendulum.

14 hours ago, eddie said:

Friday has Rammstein, Motorhead and Korn, all of whom I love.

Saturday offers Sabbath, Deftones, Megadeth, the wonderful Lawnmower Deth and Skindred

Sunday's bands include Iron Maiden, Disturbed, Billy Talent, Saxon and Ghost.

Sunday it is - and you know what? I agree with her. Ghost are brilliant.

Superb line ups every day.

Ah the memories of Monsters.First band on were obliged to be 'bottled' off.Remember one guitarist turning around his flying v and using it as a bat to hit fruit back into the crowd.Yes indeed Slade were pretty damn good in ?81 when it was throwing it down.Flowerpot is great for blues,although i don't go along for the tribute artists.Wonder if Motorhead's recent health troubles will ultimately but a stop to next years appearance.Saw Motorhead in '79 at the Assembly rooms--supported by the originl line up of Iron Maiden.Christ i'm getting old.

3 minutes ago, NC--RAM said:

Ah the memories of Monsters.First band on were obliged to be 'bottled' off.Remember one guitarist turning around his flying v and using it as a bat to hit fruit back into the crowd.Yes indeed Slade were pretty damn good in ?81 when it was throwing it down.Flowerpot is great for blues,although i don't go along for the tribute artists.Wonder if Motorhead's recent health troubles will ultimately but a stop to next years appearance.Saw Motorhead in '79 at the Assembly rooms--supported by the originl line up of Iron Maiden.Christ i'm getting old.

Would that have been More? :D

22 minutes ago, NC--RAM said:

Yeah it was 81, funny you mention Motörhead seem to be touring with believe it or not the same line up of one of my first ever gigs as a schoolboy. Saxon and Girlschool doing rounds with them next year, only missing Angelwitch from a line up I saw at Stafford Bingley Hall, around same year I think.

Somehow managed to avoid the mayhem that ensued in a drunk, drug crazed crowd, though the passive smoking nearly did for me. Reeked of it on my clothes, the old man was almost convinced I'd been up to no good and nearly thrashed me.

8 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Yeah it was 81, funny you mention Motörhead seem to be touring with believe it or not the same line up of one of my first ever gigs as a schoolboy. Saxon and Girlschool doing rounds with them next year, only missing Angelwitch from a line up I saw at Stafford Bingley Hall, around same year I think.

Somehow managed to avoid the mayhem that ensued in a drunk, drug crazed crowd, though the passive smoking nearly did for me. Reeked of it on my clothes, the old man was almost convinced I'd been up to no good and nearly thrashed me.

.Always have a soft spot for Motorhead,because they were a 'serious' band who had some very menacing 'fans' who scared the living bejesus out of a 17year old.Also, Saxon live on fondly in the memory,although hopefully Biff no longer wears spandex.Girlschool,i did enjoy, but perhaps not as appealing as once they were

Archived