Pay up Pompey

vicky-27

empty threats it seems, as usual. Every time a club goes to the high court you know that they aren't going to be liquidated, merely given an extension. There's no deterrent to living with out your means. bonuses should be given to clubs that run football clubs properly, and clubs with extreme debt should be banned from europe

It does seem empty threats for the bigger clubs, can't say the same for Ilkeston, Chester, Newcastle Blue Star and Kings Lynn. Not sure how you class a club running properly, also for clubs like man u and chelsea am sure running at the mass debts they do would out do bonuses they would get running "properly"

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does seem empty threats for the bigger clubs, can't say the same for Ilkeston, Chester, Newcastle Blue Star and Kings Lynn. Not sure how you class a club running properly, also for clubs like man u and chelsea am sure running at the mass debts they do would out do bonuses they would get running "properly"

Clubs like Portsmouth, Cardiff and the rest in debt have the toys of a big stadium, some sort of fan base and major local business backing to negotiate with the high court. There is always someone willing to take the reins at a top club even with the biggest debt.

The likes of Ilkeston are smaller clubs based in small towns. They don't have the major backing of businesses and can't negotiate with the people who want to wind them up.

There's also the case of, if you owe a certain amount of money then you're in trouble but if you owe ten times that then it's the bank in trouble so the only person who can pay the bank back (the club in debt) has the tools to negotiate with.

Portsmouth

Well done on the victory against Watford...

I was just checking out Portsmouth's team and I'm rather flabbergasted...

For a team that was in such a ridiculous amount of debt and I think is, how on earth do they maintain to keep a team that has players like Liam Lawrence, David Nugent, Michael Brown, John Utaka, Dave Kitson, Aaron Mokoena... And even Kanu on the bench!

How is that even possible?! How is that even fair?!

I think it's pretty ridiculous.

Well done on the victory against Watford...

I was just checking out Portsmouth's team and I'm rather flabbergasted...

For a team that was in such a ridiculous amount of debt and I think is, how on earth do they maintain to keep a team that has players like Liam Lawrence, David Nugent, Michael Brown, John Utaka, Dave Kitson, Aaron Mokoena... And even Kanu on the bench!

How is that even possible?! How is that even fair?!

I think it's pretty ridiculous.

Their finances wasn't to do with wages, it was issues with gathering the cash to pay off previous owners that was the problem, and the subsequent transfer embargo placed upon them.

Their finances wasn't to do with wages, it was issues with gathering the cash to pay off previous owners that was the problem, and the subsequent transfer embargo placed upon them.

It has a knock on affect and they did fail to pay wages numerous times last season, so I don't get your point.

Either way, they have a large number of loans and they have a tiny squad short of substance outside the starting 11. Unfortunately, the starting 11 is playing as well as they look on paper.

Are you blaming our 'Arry??? ;-)

Oh, no, how could that be true... Not our 'Arry, he is the great English hope. I want to categorically say, your honour, that I don't think that the fact that he has managed all those teams has anything to do with the fact, not at all, not one bit.

Oh, no, how could that be true... Not our 'Arry, he is the great English hope. I want to categorically say, your honour, that I don't think that the fact that he has managed all those teams has anything to do with the fact, not at all, not one bit.

The case for the prosecution rests.

• 1 year later...
A Europe-wide arrest warrant has been issued for the owner of Portsmouth Football Club Vladimir Antonov.

Lithuanian prosecutors want to question him as part of an investigation into alleged asset stripping at Snoras Bank.

They are also seeking his business partner Raimondas Baranauskas. Both are former managers and shareholders of the bank and deny any wrongdoing.

Portsmouth FC said its business operations were unaffected and its day-to-day operations "carry on as normal".

'Recognised as suspects'

Snoras Bank went into temporary administration last week and, on Tuesday, Latvian authorities suspended the operations of another of Antonov's banks, Krajbanka, for similar reasons.

A court in Lithuania granted the request by the Prosecutor General's Office on Tuesday and a pre-trial investigation into alleged fraud and money laundering has begun.

Portsmouth said on Friday it was unaffected by the situation at Snoras Bank.

In a statement, the prosecutors said: "Both former managers of the bank Snoras have been recognised as suspects with regard to misappropriation of property on a large scale and forgery of documents.

"R. Baranauskas is also suspected of fraudulent accounting and abuse of authority.

"Prosecutor General Mr D Valys signed European arrest warrants issued against these persons."

Mr Baranauskas also held the posts of the chairman of the bank board and president.

'Solely financed'

Mr Antonov owns 68% of Bankas Snoras and an administrator has been appointed to assess its financial position.

The Russian businessman is the backer of Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) which owns Portsmouth FC.

Last week CSI released a statement saying: "In the light of the recent events at Snoras Bank, Convers Sports Initiatives (CSI) would like to reassure its companies, staff, and the fans of its teams and events, that it remains very much business as usual.

"We are operationally unaffected by Snoras Bank entering temporary administration.

"CSI has been solely financed through the private wealth of its owners.

"Snoras Bank has never provided funding for the purchase of a CSI organisation, nor has it lent any money to these businesses after they have been acquired."

In February 2010, Portsmouth became the first Premier League club to be placed into administration and CSI completed its takeover of the Championship side in June 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-15859800

Something about the owners company going into administration, but not Portsmouth themselves, but apparently this is what happened at Southampton (I think something similar happened to us in the early 90's?).

A lawyer quoted said a 10pt deduction is likely. I hope another 40 clubs get this, and then maybe our owners will be vilified with their well run ways.

The article will tell you more: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15944523.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15944523.stm

Something about the owners company going into administration, but not Portsmouth themselves, but apparently this is what happened at Southampton (I think something similar happened to us in the early 90's?).

A lawyer quoted said a 10pt deduction is likely. I hope another 40 clubs get this, and then maybe our owners will be vilified with their well run ways.

The article will tell you more: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15944523.stm]http://news.bbc.co.u...ll/15944523.stm

Southampton did, so Portsmouth should.

Pompey with a 10 point deduction would leave them on 10 points

Them on 10, Donny on 13 and Coventry on 13.. The all could potentially be 10 points off the next team in 21st.. That's a long way back for someone who can't string 2 wins together..

Safe to say we'll be safe for another season then?

Archived