The case for the defence

Carl Sagan

I just checked the final 10 games of last season and saw we conceded 17 goals. In the first 10 of this season we've conceded 7, the joint fewest in the division. Football's actually a simple game and the first thing we had to do if we were going to progress and challenge was tighten up at the back. Well done to all concerned for making it happen.

GK: Despite the gaffe at MK, Carson is proving solid, as you'd expect from a former England stopper. Grant remains a very good option for a substitute keeper.

RB: Since he scored for the Republic, Christie is a new player (well, actually the old player he was when he first arrived). Thanks to O'Neill for keeping faith with him. We have great international backup in Baird, with Shotton and Ssewankambo also options.

LB: The position with the most chopping and changing, ex-England Warnock vying for the position with Scotland's occasional LB Forsyth. Both are playing better with the intense competition for places.

CB: Irish international Keogh has been immense and his excellent distribution out of defence is very important for us. Shackell is a good defender. He's not as good on the ball as Keogh but he has better defensive instincts. They make a strong pairing. Shotton is decent occasional backup and his versatility helps get him a place on the bench. It's a long season and there will be injuries and suspensions, so Irish international Pearce will get a chance at some point. He's surely a capable reserve to come in. And then we have Bucko, hopefully close to fitness (well, he was able to go paintballing).

There's very strong cover in every position. There's depth to account for injuries and suspensions. Three or four of the seven goals conceded have been outrageous deflections. We've kept three clean sheets in the last four games. This is a strong foundation to build upon as we climb steadily, and should give us all confidence for the season ahead.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Struggle to understand why people didnt think we would take a while to get used to new methods. I had us down for very little first 6 games - I still think we will win the league easily once we really get going...we have been slowly away yet 3 off the autos already and 5 off top...we are well ahead of where I thought we would be which gives us a massive advantage..

Thought it was noticable how much better Fozzy's final ball was today, looked for and found an edge of the box man, instead of an aimless ball to no one.

Ironically showed the benefits of real competition for his place, after Warnock's great assist last week.

Keogh great again, as was Cyrus.

Shackell seemed to be struggling halfway through the 1st half, 50p head Shotton did ok as his replacement,  hopefully Shacks back in 2 weeks. 

We've definitely tightened up at the back, still think our best four is... C K S F, although I think

away from home we may see more of Warnock and Baird, which isn't a bad thing, unless we're playing 

a bottom 5/6 team. My brother in law(Boro supporter) reckoned that we would have lost to Burnley and

Reading, if Gray and Sa had stayed on the pitch. 

However, that's in the past, onwards and upwards we go.

Archived