Do some Derby Fans really want the Premier League

Curtains

Of course they can't .

Clubs will survive where the TV and sponsorship  money is. 

Will you pay 52 pounds go for Sheffield We'd away game this season just asking .

I went to Norwich last season and I won't pay that price again  

Fans will get wise to ticket prices and more and more will watch Footy on TV. 

The clubs not getting TV and sponsor revenue will struggle and go bust. 

Those clubs will have to get a little bit smarter then won't they?

Look at Bradford City. They realised fans were staying away because football was too expensive so they reduced prices and boosted their average attendance significantly.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well you have answered your own question! It WILL change. 

92 clubs WILL exist - minimum, they cannot all fit into the Premier League!

Agree - football is a microcosm of the wider "trickle up" economy where the rich get richer and the rest of us will adapt.

ultimately it might mean that full time footballers can only be sustained by the top one or two divisions and the rest go part time. just one possibility but isn't that what happens in some "less fashionable" european leagues?

Those clubs will have to get a little bit smarter then won't they?

Look at Bradford City. They realised fans were staying away because football was too expensive so they reduced prices and boosted their average attendance significantly.

That can only happen for so long .

Derby are a smart club and have rich owners but they struggle don't they. 

Derby need the Premier League IMO to sustain their position and years in the Championship will not do as it is costing the owners 10 million each end of season to sustain our debt .

Derby are clearly trying to get promoted but so are Wolves ,Forest,Boro, Blackburn ,QPR, Burnley ,MK Dons , Preston ,Leeds  etc etc 

Clubs are desperate to not get left behind with all the money flowing around the Premier League. 

Im a massive Derby fan and I hope we get promoted but I'm not naive enough to think they can do it through the academy and not buy some quality players. 

Will Hughes will go next season if we don't go up I'm sure even though he's injured for 6 months. 

Agree - football is a microcosm of the wider "trickle up" economy where the rich get richer and the rest of us will adapt.

ultimately it might mean that full time footballers can only be sustained by the top one or two divisions and the rest go part time. just one possibility but isn't that what happens in some "less fashionable" european leagues?

I don't even think it will come to that. Fan owned clubs like Wimbledon and Exeter are proving that they can financially support lower league teams, even with the current inflated wages. It wasn't long ago that 4th tier players made labouers' wages, but they're currently paid £1,400 per week on average. There are huge reductions that can be made before anyone even has to think about going part time.

That can only happen for so long .

Derby are a smart club and have rich owners but they struggle don't they. 

Derby need the Premier League IMO to sustain their position and years in the Championship will not do as it is costing the owners 10 million each end of season to sustain our debt .

Derby are clearly trying to get promoted but so are Wolves ,Forest,Boro, Blackburn ,QPR, Burnley ,MK Dons , Preston ,Leeds  etc etc 

Clubs are desperate to not get left behind with all the money flowing around the Premier League. 

Im a massive Derby fan and I hope we get promoted but I'm not naive enough to think they can do it through the academy and not buy some quality players. 

Will Hughes will go next season if we don't go up I'm sure even though he's injured for 6 months. 

not at all Curtains. Why on earth do you think Joey Barton has not got a club yet? SImply clubs are putting structures in place to minimise the risk on themselves. A few years ago, details of West Ham players salaries was leaked, and the likes of Danny Gabbidon were on £90k per week BASIC salary!! West Ham have been relegated since then, but nowadays a player of that ability would never earn even half of that and a club of West Ham's size won't pay anywhere near that.

Businesses will fluctuate. We were paying more out in transfer fees in 1992 than we did this summer. The Premier League didn't exist then, but clubs like Bournemouth are an example of clubs 'surviving' will little or no income and still competing and eventually getting there.

I can see the attraction for club owners to get their teams into the Premier League, and similarly the players, but don't be so naive! The attraction is profit and pay rise, nothing to do with ensuring survival.

You're creating a drama that doesn't exist, and is not even close to existing. Clubs now know how to live within their means if they want to do so.

not at all Curtains. Why on earth do you think Joey Barton has not got a club yet? SImply clubs are putting structures in place to minimise the risk on themselves. A few years ago, details of West Ham players salaries was leaked, and the likes of Danny Gabbidon were on £90k per week BASIC salary!! West Ham have been relegated since then, but nowadays a player of that ability would never earn even half of that and a club of West Ham's size won't pay anywhere near that.

Businesses will fluctuate. We were paying more out in transfer fees in 1992 than we did this summer. The Premier League didn't exist then, but clubs like Bournemouth are an example of clubs 'surviving' will little or no income and still competing and eventually getting there.

I can see the attraction for club owners to get their teams into the Premier League, and similarly the players, but don't be so naive! The attraction is profit and pay rise, nothing to do with ensuring survival.

You're creating a drama that doesn't exist, and is not even close to existing. Clubs now know how to live within their means if they want to do so.

Just discussing it mate but not creating a drama  .

I take your points onboard  though  

Archived