Waterproof phones, Sony Z3 and warranty

Gypsy Ram

Away from the Will Hughes news for a second. 

So I took out my phone into the water on Saturday to take snaps of friends jumping off rocks here in Cyprus. To my surprise, once out of the water the phone just switched off. Now the phone is suppose to have the highest dust- waterproof rating out there but it failed! I Haven't been able to switch on since.

Today I noticed condensation on the camera lens - so water did get in. So, lacking rice in the kitchen I have placed it inside a box of rice crispies. 

Now, the phone is only 4 months old, is it covered by Sony's warranty seeing that is is marketed as a all sports water proof phone? 

Failing that what other sports phones out there worth getting if Sony refuse to replace or fix? Anyone got the Samsung Active/Sport phone? 

Anyways pretty pissed off as this is the second Sony Z2/3 to die on me within a year.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All it takes is for one port to slightly open and the phone is ******, I wouldn't trust any waterproof phone in water. Get yourself something like the Go Pro, they say they don't cover water leaks on their warranty but they do really. 

All it takes is for one port to slightly open and the phone is ******, I wouldn't trust any waterproof phone in water. Get yourself something like the Go Pro, they say they don't cover water leaks on their warranty but they do really. 

Thanks Daveo.

They have a way to find out if your port was shut when it got water damage if you send it to get repaired.

There's a tab of colour under a port and it changes colour when wet. So they can use this as proof to say it was user error and they can say it's not covered under warranty.

Same case with Samsung.

They have a way to find out if your port was shut when it got water damage if you send it to get repaired.

There's a tab of colour under a port and it changes colour when wet. So they can use this as proof to say it was user error and they can say it's not covered under warranty.

Same case with Samsung.

but id argue back that the seal on the port was faulty due to manufacture error which is why it leaked.

The whole idea of waterproof phones is flawed. It means rubber gaskets everywhere including charging and earphone ports. Who wants to do that? That's the reason why Apple haven't gone down that route. It's a phone, not a GoPro.

The earphone port doesn't have a gasket and it's only a little flip cover over the charger port but its got a wireless charger so it doesn't matter really, mind I'm sure it'll be innovation when apple release the waterproof iPhone 8 or whatever

The whole idea of waterproof phones is flawed. It means rubber gaskets everywhere including charging and earphone ports. Who wants to do that? That's the reason why Apple haven't gone down that route. It's a phone, not a GoPro.

I have a Sony Z3 and yeah somethings like the sim tray have seals but I charge magnetically and it has no seal over the headphone port, I very rarely have need to open any of the seals.

Had it for coming up to a year now and I rinse the screen when it gets too greasy, extremely useful feature, especially when you put your phone on the table next to you without realising there is a drink already there...

The Gopro isn't waterproof, its the casing that makes it. 

I think you can waterproof the headphone socket. Anyways, always took my Z2 into the water for long periods and always fine, With the z3 I have no idea what happened as both ports were closed.

Anyways, might just go for an iphone now.

How do you rate it overall?

Best phone I have had. Dropped it quite a few times, and no damage on the sceen at all but outer case is battered (expected). Easy to use, does everything I need and more. Camera quality is better than a lot of digital cameras. Had it over a year and the battery is still going strong.

How do you rate it overall?

very good, first one broke within a month after I dropped it under the hose when filling sprayer up worked initially then stopped about 10 mins later. Samsung replaced it for me. Other than that the camera is excellent, the screen is very good, nice and clear. Would definitely buy one again

Archived