Ashamed to be a Rams fan

If cursing, irritating, aggressive @rseholes are ruining people's away trip - and especially upsetting families & kids, fellow fans should sort them out - get them removed. It isn't some p!sshead's right to say and do what he/she pleases in public.

Ask them to calm down and shut up, and point out the families in proximity... if they are abusive or let their behaviour lapse further, then they had their chance to behave properly...just amble off and fetch a steward (or two) and explain who is behaving badly. Why just tolerate it?

The miscreants will either shut up, or act up again - and if they act up (sometimes in stupid drunken bravado to chide the complaining fans), repeat the steward alert and watch the cretins get chucked out... No less than they deserve.

I've been to countless games, gigs and other events at all corners of the UK and beyond, back since the BBG Popside days, and have occasionally acted to remove a dunderhead or two when the threshold of acceptability by idiots at the event has been flouted.

It's supposed to be entertainment, enjoyment and social fun & participation, so enduring excessively-selfish yobs, to wait for the end of the game/gig as a merciful relief from their proximity isn't a given. 

Grumpy old git? Yes, in some circumstances. Tolerance is one thing - but ignorance, unpleasantness and lack of respect needn't be meekly accepted.

i agree. Come next week i wont be tolerating any of this sh1te. End of.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This brought back some memories, although I was surprised if there were only 50 or so, the New Year day game got abandoned due to waterlogged pitch, after Bobby Davison broke his foot I think and the rearranged game was a Tuesday night.

That promotion season we had the 20th largest home attendances in the country and I think it was the 4th or 5th largest average away at >3k despite us being 3rd division - I remember a few articles about it in Shoot etc as to why.

But my bigger memory was from the season before when the back of their stand got kicked out as I think there were only 2 turnstiles open and over 1k of fans outside 5 mins before ko. All the temporary fencing and barriers got ripped down in the grd and at the end we ran their stands clear of home fans in a matter of minutes.

The bus journey back to train station (to try to control the fans) was interesting as certainly the one I was on lost most of the seats from the upper deck thru the little slidey windows (how we found out they fitted is still a mystery) every time we went around a corner trying to hit the police cars between each bus.

Also remember some brave Newport fans at side of road giving it some as the buses passed..... until a car of Derby lads heading the same way stopped and showed them the error of their ways :D:D

So, as much as I dislike some vulgar language and behaviour of some 'lads' it's not a patch on the 80s let alone what the 70s must have been like!

I'm sure there were more than 50 too on reflection, but the point I was making (badly) was there weren't really an awful lot going. 6 years in decline (eight if we include the last couple of years in the First Division from Docherty) just eroded attendances down to just the hard core. We were at barely 10000 for home games.

Yeaaaah, but  I don't think that

"If you don't firkin bounce you're over 12, can make your own decisions rather than simply copying others', realise that the whole 'bouncing' thing is a cringeworthy, embarrassing load of ***** and avoid looking & sounding like a moron,. Good on you, I say"

is going to catch on, sadly.

The bouncy song makes me more ashamed to be a Derby fan than anything else on this thread.Leave it to the kids, like the phone LED lights thing. Grown adults doing the bouncy song, get a bloody grip.

What is the whole phone light thing? Noticed it at Villareal game, thought it was distracting.

This brought back some memories, although I was surprised if there were only 50 or so, the New Year day game got abandoned due to waterlogged pitch, after Bobby Davison broke his foot I think and the rearranged game was a Tuesday night.

That promotion season we had the 20th largest home attendances in the country and I think it was the 4th or 5th largest average away at >3k despite us being 3rd division - I remember a few articles about it in Shoot etc as to why.

But my bigger memory was from the season before when the back of their stand got kicked out as I think there were only 2 turnstiles open and over 1k of fans outside 5 mins before ko. All the temporary fencing and barriers got ripped down in the grd and at the end we ran their stands clear of home fans in a matter of minutes.

The bus journey back to train station (to try to control the fans) was interesting as certainly the one I was on lost most of the seats from the upper deck thru the little slidey windows (how we found out they fitted is still a mystery) every time we went around a corner trying to hit the police cars between each bus.

Also remember some brave Newport fans at side of road giving it some as the buses passed..... until a car of Derby lads heading the same way stopped and showed them the error of their ways :D:D

So, as much as I dislike some vulgar language and behaviour of some 'lads' it's not a patch on the 80s let alone what the 70s must have been like!

I Remember that day well,

We travelled to Newport on the service train and walked to the ground.

Some very naughty boys there that day, massive cheers as the back of the stand was kicked out.

Was on the street walking back to the station as the busses came past and can confirm that one of them was loosing seats from the upper deck.

The fight broke out just in front of me & the missus, local lads acting hard in front of thier girls, next thing we knew they were getting the sh1te kicked out of them to the tune of D D DLF.

When we got onto the station, the brave locals were lobbing stones onto the platform from the embankment above.

Happy days in the lower leagues ;)

I'm sure there were more than 50 too on reflection, but the point I was making (badly) was there weren't really an awful lot going. 6 years in decline (eight if we include the last couple of years in the First Division from Docherty) just eroded attendances down to just the hard core. We were at barely 10000 for home games.

Attendances were down generally in the 80s and really poor for us at the start of both 85/6 and 86/7. I just happen to have been going through the programmes from then and we had 7000 season ticket holders at start of 86/7 and averaged 12500 (1000 below break even figure of 13500 required) at end September. This was after promotion remember!

At end of February 87 - back to back promotion season (latest figures published in mag) Leeds (pushing for 1st ever playoffs) averaged 16667, we were 14103 (currently 2nd in league table) mid table Sunderland 13999 and top of table Portsmouth 11552.

Just goes to show how low they were, but most were 'lads', very few women and kids and families going was virtually unheard of.

Archived