Gaming

SaintRam

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Watchdogs 2 looks good to be fair, the first one suffered from being massively over hyped early on and then never ever lived up to it and turned into a pretty average game. Second definitely looks intriguing, might be a Christmas one for me though, looking at Mafia 3 first and foremost. As far as what game it is, it's an open world game involving hacking group. So you can hack into all sorts, like phones, traffic lights or security cameras and alter things to your advantage, also guns etc as you'd imagine. Not sure exactly what differences 2 has over 1, but having seen some of the trailers the whole world and story looks more interesting, and looks like they've implemented some form of parkour into it.

Cheers @Srg

My Xmas list for santa currently looks a bit like this;

FIFA (think I will get it rather than PES)

Mafia 3

Then I am tempted by Watchdogs 2, Tropico 5 (I used to like them on the PC).

10 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Are you just going to ask 'what type of game is it?' to every major release? :D

I had Watchdogs on PS4 it was a massive disappointment. Its an open world game where you are a hacker. You can hack terminals, CCTV, etc to help you get passed enemies.

Probably, I find it a lot more useful to ask people rather than read reviews (which often can't be trusted).  I do appreciate your answers (and that I can be highly annoying ;))

Dont mind giving opinions on games as I used to write reviews for a website, just makes me laugh when you ask what type of game it is when its pretty easy to find out if its a sports game/open-world GTA style game/RPG when just Googling a title gives a basic idea of what it is.

Watch Dogs 2 for example gives: Genres: Action-adventure game, Third-person shooter

Problem WD2 has is that its a Ubisoft game and they are terrible for hyping then letting the consumer down be it a No Mans Sky lack of features of downgrading the graphics etc.

2 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Dont mind giving opinions on games as I used to write reviews for a website, just makes me laugh when you ask what type of game it is when its pretty easy to find out if its a sports game/open-world GTA style game/RPG when just Googling a title gives a basic idea of what it is.

Watch Dogs 2 for example gives: Genres: Action-adventure game, Third-person shooter

Problem WD2 has is that its a Ubisoft game and they are terrible for hyping then letting the consumer down be it a No Mans Sky lack of features of downgrading the graphics etc.

Is no mans sky still really really bad? 

On 9/30/2016 at 18:27, Simsy said:

I tried the pes demo and I thought it was even worse then last years. Seems you are not allowed to slide tackle. Graphics are great but other then that I wasn't impressed.

each to their own though!

Odd, as slide tackling is if anything a bit easy to pull off in PES. 

On 9/30/2016 at 20:48, Simsy said:

Don't get me wrong I am pretty decent at playing all football games but even on the pro evo demo I was scoring for fun. And no I didn't have it on beginner level.

Educate me because I honestly don't know. Not talking about game play but what does PES have? Like fifa has Ultimate Team, a story mode with alex hunter, hundreds of teams with the kits badges, All the premier league stadiums and many more ones outside the prem also commentary from tyler,smith and townsend.

I take it Fifa has a much bigger budget and rights which is why they can have all this stuff and also the advanced technologies but genuinely want to know what I could be missing out on with PES because its probably unfair for me to solely judge it form the demo.

The technology behind the current FIFA is interestingly less advanced. They've repurposed frostbite to give the graphics a shiny new feel for the Journey side of things, but they're still not that impressive. The collision physics and bizarrely the controls still aren't quite up to standard. Face on dribbling is tetchy as hell, as is canceling, and the game has noticeably more input lag than FIFA 16. Hoping they fix that soon.

It seems most of their budget over the years has gone into marketing, licencing and the online side, and understandably so. It's not gameplay, realistic physics and player models that sells units, it's a consistent online experience and marketing presence, and FIFA has that in spades. Their effort into the presentation side of things as well is certainly something, but the issue is that the standards of the on pitch gameplay have just fallen behind in recent years.

I do find some of Konami's marketing decisions a bit odd this year though. One of their biggest selling points, the adaptive AI, just isn't really shown that much in the demo, yet is massive in the game itself. What's more, is that the demo actually locks you out of using most of the tactical options. Not sure exactly what they were thinking there, as that's one of the games bigger strengths. 

5 hours ago, David said:

Ultimate team is grating on me this year already, seems like they've ramped up the injuries and need for fitness cards, couple games and the players are pretty much dead with the pace of a one legged granny without a crutch.

Guess they are trying to make you spend more coins on either new players or consumables. Played 8 games I think, 5 players out with injuries.

Suppose it's time to venture into the constant stream of games v Real or Barca.

...or you could try the better of the two football games on the market...

2 hours ago, RicME85 said:

I have only had 1 injury in 6 or 7 games on XB1 (had been playing EA Access trial all week), will go on PS4 FUT in a mo and see whether its a console specific thing as I have seen someone mention the injuries elsewhere too.

Have played 3 on PS4 and no injuries to my players. I did injure a player on the opposing team in one match. I like how the ref stops the match and drops the ball for the restart :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

I do find some of Konami's marketing decisions a bit odd this year though.

Thats Konami for you. They have pulled out of console games except for PES and  moved to mobile as they have been going downhill for years so rather than rectifying things they have moved to an easier lower cost market.

6 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

Thats Konami for you. They have pulled out of console games except for PES and  moved to mobile as they have been going downhill for years so rather than rectifying things they have moved to an easier lower cost market.

I wouldn't call their best stock prices in nearly a decade "going downhill". They weren't going downhill, they were like many Japanese companies moving with the times there. They produce a lot of arcade games and gaming machines (i.e. Pachinko), these are more profitable than spending years and near infinite budgets on games. They aren't in the only ones in the industry moving that way, and they as a company are certainly not performing poorly. What they've done isn't great for some iconic series, but as a business they're really doing well very. 

I still fully expect that come November they'll have another crack at their free version of PES so they can again try for the best of both worlds, having both the full featured full price one with offline modes, and the freemium MyClub one going on the same system. I still find it odd that Daveo isn't all over that, it's basically the central thesis of an argument he had with himself on here a while back about. 

By going downhill I meant the games they were producing, not the stocks etc. Yes they have moved with the times and are in other areas like Pachinko (Metal Gear Pachinko anyone?) but as you say, some of their stellar back catalogue is going to ruin.

2 minutes ago, RicME85 said:

By going downhill I meant the games they were producing, not the stocks etc. Yes they have moved with the times and are in other areas like Pachinko (Metal Gear Pachinko anyone?) but as you say, some of their stellar back catalogue is going to ruin.

The gaming market comes in waves, there's still every chance that the Japanese home console market will pick up again one day, and with it demand for the kind of content they used to make. The big question mark there is what the hell the Nintendo NX actually is. All sorts of conflicting rumours about hybrid home and portable consoles, but until that's revealed it's hard to know either what Nintendo's long term plan is, or if it has any hope of succeeding. If Nintendo can recombine the Japanese home and portable markets, that's the kind of thing that could change the direction of lot of companies like Konami are moving in. 

The games that Konami make now are generally very niche (i.e. PES, Yugioh games, etc.), but tend to be of high quality. They've game downhill in terms of outright number of big name titles, but they're still making good games. 

Just now, Albert said:

The gaming market comes in waves, there's still every chance that the Japanese home console market will pick up again one day, and with it demand for the kind of content they used to make. The big question mark there is what the hell the Nintendo NX actually is. All sorts of conflicting rumours about hybrid home and portable consoles, but until that's revealed it's hard to know either what Nintendo's long term plan is, or if it has any hope of succeeding. If Nintendo can recombine the Japanese home and portable markets, that's the kind of thing that could change the direction of lot of companies like Konami are moving in. 

The games that Konami make now are generally very niche (i.e. PES, Yugioh games, etc.), but tend to be of high quality. They've game downhill in terms of outright number of big name titles, but they're still making good games. 

They treated Kojima really well...

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

They treated Kojima really well...

They treated him well for nearly 30 years, and he treated them well back. There are falling outs in business, largely about long term business decisions (as discussed above). The internet got their knickers in a bizarre twist over Kojima though, even though most couldn't name his works beyond Metal Gear, nor could most detail the timeline of what happened with his exit. More hate is directed toward a company over an internal matter where both parties ended up arguably better off than is directed to actual scandals within the industry. 

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

They treated him well for nearly 30 years, and he treated them well back. There are falling outs in business, largely about long term business decisions (as discussed above). The internet got their knickers in a bizarre twist over Kojima though, even though most couldn't name his works beyond Metal Gear, nor could most detail the timeline of what happened with his exit. More hate is directed toward a company over an internal matter where both parties ended up arguably better off than is directed to actual scandals within the industry. 

You are taking a bizarre stance in favour of a massive corporate machine in a creative industry.