Bookies and DCFC

Anyhow, Shackell still wont score 5 this season.

Probably not - it's 50/1 for a reason.. That basically reflects that in 50 odd seasons, it will happen once. A players career isn't even half of that, which explains the unlikelyhood

It's a bit of fun. I've had a few punts on ridiculous bets for DCFC and it just builds to the excitement of next Saturday. I don't expect to win any

I'm not a hardcore gambler, I'll put a few acca's on every match day, but it just acts as something a bit extra to football. For example, live sports on Sky or BT is much more entertaining when you have someone to route for :-)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a punt. It's 50/1 for a reason. That's kinda how big odds betting works..

don't worry I fully understand how betting worksworks. Its bets such as that which bookies make their money though, feel free to gloat to me if it comes off though...

Probably not - it's 50/1 for a reason.. That basically reflects that in 50 odd seasons, it will happen once.

Apologies for the pedantry, but it actually reflects that in 51 seasons it would happen once.  Of course the bookies will aim to over estimate the probability of it happening in order to maintain a healthy profit margin for them....so we could say their estimation of Shackell scoring 5 this season is approaching 1 chance in 60.  Still, it's just a guess on their part, but they have to be very good estimating probabilities, otherwise they will go out of business rapidly.

I'm going absolutely wild when it comes in. I'm gonna get a tattoo that's got the word 'haters' or something cool in it. 

All that would prove is that you were a Luton fan who was really crap at spelling.

Apologies for the pedantry, but it actually reflects that in 51 seasons it would happen once.  Of course the bookies will aim to over estimate the probability of it happening in order to maintain a healthy profit margin for them....so we could say their estimation of Shackell scoring 5 this season is approaching 1 chance in 60.  Still, it's just a guess on their part, but they have to be very good estimating probabilities, otherwise they will go out of business rapidly.

haha I put 50 "odd" because I didn't know whether it was 50 or 51! 

Boro have gone into favourites to win the league. 5/1. Can't remember seeing odds that low for a side to win the division... With sky bet 

That's after losing Tomlin and not getting Bamford back too.

They strike me as a bit of us from 12 months ago.

Boro have gone into favourites to win the league. 5/1. Can't remember seeing odds that low for a side to win the division... With sky bet 

That's after losing Tomlin and not getting Bamford back too.

They strike me as a bit of us from 12 months ago.

I think it may be to do with the fact that SkyBet have Rhodes going to them at 5/4 - if that (officially) falls through I reckon Boro's odds will drop again.

Been checking the outright odds since the end of last season. I don't think transfers have much of an affect/effect on odds. Not directly anyway, unless a few punters back Boro after they sign Rhodes because they think promotion will be a given. 

As all our transfers kept coming, our price never really changed. 

Been checking the outright odds since the end of last season. I don't think transfers have much of an affect/effect on odds. Not directly anyway, unless a few punters back Boro after they sign Rhodes because they think promotion will be a given. 

As all our transfers kept coming, our price never really changed. 

We went from joint favorites with Hull to outright favorites a day or 2 after signing Ince.

I guided the Harriers to a Premier League title once...

I used the editor to put 11 of the best players in the world on Burton's books when they were in the conference, then set it to standard 4-4-2 with no other effort tactically and they failed to get promoted. :lol:

I think Grimsby will beat Kidderminster, not that my opinion matters.

Archived