DIY

ketteringram

Right....... Electric shower has packed up. I am a cross between Mr Bean, and Frank Spencer when it comes to DIY. So am I supposed to buy a new one of the same rating, and then get someone to install it? Or would the person installing it only be interested if they could supply it? Am I looking for an electrician , or a plumber? 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May I appologise for the cheap red wine im drinking. :D

in that case:

plumber or electrician, but more electrician, as some plumbers don't like touching electrics, but us sparkies can do plumbing with our blindfolds on.

me myself would fit your shower no problem.

look underneath near where the hose comes out, there's normally a sticker down there with a kW number on it.

stay safe and get one the same.

if you buy a 10.8kW beast beware, you're cable isn't probably big enough, and possibly your MCB too. (Fuse)

it depends how far the shower is from the fuse box, and where it's run, under floors, in attic etc.

my advise? Ring a spark and get him around, if he wants to rewire the cable to fit a shower the same as what you've got, then he's pulling yer pants down.

if you turn the supply off and look inside the shower and take a few pics, you can send them me. I'll try to help you as much as possible.

I hate it when friends get ripped off, so I'll help anyone on here as much as I can too.

(will U be my friend?):wub:

did you not read what I put? I NEED NEW FRIENDS GOD DANG IT!

Oh sorry, missed that completely. Just finishing my third whisky here.

And yes I'm a bit hurt by that. Can't even guess how Sage must be feeling when he learns this.

Oh sorry, missed that completely. Just finishing my third whisky here.

And yes I'm a bit hurt by that. Can't even guess how Sage must be feeling when he learns this.

Ecstatic. He can f00k off now he's finished my shed roof. 

May I appologise for the cheap red wine im drinking. :D

in that case:

plumber or electrician, but more electrician, as some plumbers don't like touching electrics, but us sparkies can do plumbing with our blindfolds on.

me myself would fit your shower no problem.

look underneath near where the hose comes out, there's normally a sticker down there with a kW number on it.

stay safe and get one the same.

if you buy a 10.8kW beast beware, you're cable isn't probably big enough, and possibly your MCB too. (Fuse)

it depends how far the shower is from the fuse box, and where it's run, under floors, in attic etc.

my advise? Ring a spark and get him around, if he wants to rewire the cable to fit a shower the same as what you've got, then he's pulling yer pants down.

if you turn the supply off and look inside the shower and take a few pics, you can send them me. I'll try to help you as much as possible.

I hate it when friends get ripped off, so I'll help anyone on here as much as I can too.

(will U be my friend?):wub:

Thanks for that. I Can see where the sticker was but it's long gone. Model number on front is 7500,  so guessing it's 7.5kw! 

I won't be getting anything more as I wouldn't trust wiring. House built 1950, and guessing it's never been rewired. We've been here about five years. Never had any issues but there are a couple of sockets we never use as they crackle! 

If a rewire is needed., do you think we would need to move out while it's done? 

When can you start?  :) 

If it's not been rewired since 1950 I'd expect the cables to be the black rubber type, if this is the case, you need a rewire.

can be down as a lived in job, but more sparkies would be interested if you were to move out, but be warned, it's one if the most destructive jobs you can have done in your house. This is because it effects every room and can lead to a lot of upheaval and redecoration, especially when customers have buried their head in the sand on getting it done and had nice kitchens and laminate floors laid etc.

good luck! :D

I'm working on garden illumination as my next DIY project, which involves fire.

I have the fire brigade on speed dial.

Archived